Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ridden these bikes and have helpful comments??

I rode the Look 585 and although it absorbs the vibrations better than I thought I found it to "twitchy". I had to be in the drops for any descents b/c the hoods were too scary feeling. Not enough control. Uphill it seemed to have a dead feel to it.

I rode a Calfee dragon and liked it alot but its not stiff enough.

I have a Merlin XL and it obviously is too flimsy. Great for the centuries but my riding has changed; much more climbing!!! I need power transfer!

thanks in advance for any comments that might help.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
My understanding is the Time will be plenty stiff but lean towards comfort while the BMC will lean towards stiffness. I'm not sure about Cyfac.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Merlinmagic said:
Anyone ridden these bikes and have helpful comments??

I rode the Look 585 and although it absorbs the vibrations better than I thought I found it to "twitchy". I had to be in the drops for any descents b/c the hoods were too scary feeling. Not enough control. Uphill it seemed to have a dead feel to it.

I rode a Calfee dragon and liked it alot but its not stiff enough.

I have a Merlin XL and it obviously is too flimsy. Great for the centuries but my riding has changed; much more climbing!!! I need power transfer!

thanks in advance for any comments that might help.
I don't have a Cyfac Tigre, but I have a Cyfac NERV and can make a comparison. I find all Cyfac frames to be "sure-footed". That's the best term that I can find so far. They are very reactive, and that's actually how the name "NERV" came about. The frames feel really "tight", especially compared to my old LOOK KG361. With the LOOK, I always felt like I was fighting the frame, but with the Cyfac I don't feel the sluggishness at all. The NERV, although it is aluminum, is one of the most comfortable frames in their lineup, go figure! The Tigre is even more reactive than the NERV is.

Now you may think that Cyfac frames are twitchy, but that is not true. Cyfac tends to sell to grass-roots racers, guys who can only have a few really nice bikes for all purposes, so they are very sturdy, well-made, and well-balanced. The frames are stable yet dynamic. Plus, the build quality is just plain amazing.

If you were to get a custom Tigre, you can even fully specify how much stiffer and how much road feel you want to get, compared to the baseline Tigre. So if anything else, you should contact the dealer to see if they can get you what you want. That's one really nice aspect of going with a custom builder who are a bunch of bike geeks like Cyfac ;-).

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I don't have anything to add but my worthless two cents, but I say to get the Cyfac. They're so rare. And so pretty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canadian Moots said:
I'm riding the 2006 BMC Promachine SLC01. It's very stiff & extremely comfortable on all road conditions. I've only put 800 kms on it so far.
Canadian Moots,

Did you find the BMC neutral handling, aggressive or what?
When you are descending and pounding away do you get any fish tailing?
Any problems with the cables inside the frame getting "stiff" and not shifting well?

thanks

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
before you give up on Look 585

Merlinmagic said:
Before you give up on that Look 585.....
I had similar problem with my Madone 5.9, a bit twitchy and nervous going down-hill at over ~25mph. Closer inspection revealed that the front wheel was just the *tiniest bit off-centre* in relation to handle-bars. I re-set the front wheel to be dead-straight (it took me a while as it is really hard to see, I do not have special tools to measure angles at home) but the problem is definitely gone. The same downhill road my Madone tracks straight.

Re your choice, I would go for Time VXR, it is more comfortable that BMC according to recent review of both I read in a magazine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an SLT01

Merlinmagic said:
Canadian Moots,

Did you find the BMC neutral handling, aggressive or what?
When you are descending and pounding away do you get any fish tailing?
Any problems with the cables inside the frame getting "stiff" and not shifting well?

thanks
The handling seems very neutral to me, GREAT climber especially if you are big guy, since the bike is laterally VERY stiff. Not as damp as other carbon frames like the Madone, but still very smooth. I haven't seen any fish tailing, but I don't really think any bike in this range would do that (I could be wrong..) unless you were pushing it hard into a turn, in the rain, on an oily road.. :) The bike has rock solid handling as far as I am concerned.

I also haven't seen any issues with the internal cable routing. Its a bit of a pain to get them fed, but after setting up haven't had to touch the adjustments at all. Just pulled it out for the first ride of the season the other day, and shifted perfectly. I don't know that the "internal" nature of the cable routing will make a cable wear out quicker, and it protects it from gunk coming up from the front wheel. If anything it will probably stay cleaner longer. In addition the way the cable stops come out at an angle (towards the front) the cables don't rub against the paint, like they do on my other bike.

I imagine that the SLC01 is going to ride very similar to the SLT01, just a bit lighter, and there is a bit of a drool factor. But other than the SLC01 using the Easton CNT technology, the carbon they use in the tubing, is supposed to be exactly the same they are using in the SLT01.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.