Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after HULK SMASHing my valve stems and a discussion with my LBS guys, it has been decided i suck at the bikes, and that my OLD frame pump, the classic Zefel HP X3 is the problem. so i picked up this:

the LBS echoed the comments about the flexible interface. apparently i don't get around enough to know that pulling out a valve stem is a common thing. at $6.00 a tube, that really sucks.

in other news, Blackburn is sending me a replacement pump - i lost the handle on my Shorty and they are making good on their warranty. coolio.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
wow... it's not that difficult... mount the pump on the valve stem, lock it, wrap your free hand around the pump and a spoke so neither moves relative to the valve, commence to pumping.

easier to do than to describe

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I usually get the pump in place and brace the pump head and rim against my foot as I pump it up with my frame pump. I've never broken a stem using this system.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Jim311 said:
*snicker*
+1. That may be the single greatest sentence ever written on RBR.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
They're brass. Bury them in the back yard and let nature do its course. After a few years they are this pretty green lump. Throw them in the ocean and they deteriorate into nothing in a year or so.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Same

I ripped a couple valve stems off with my Zefal, switched to a Lezyne, and love it. No losing half the air at 60PSI, either. Yeah, I'm a hack of a wrench.

I blame it in part on having mostly 48mm valve stems. Some of the wheels I have can't use the 32mm ones.

Another benefit of the threaded lezyne pumps is that I can use a 48mm valve stem, with a 53mm rim like a Carbone, and still inflate the tire. Not enough stem protrudes for a regular pump to make a seal.

Totally not k0d3.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've never had this problem before, with my pump. must because i'm getting older. things stop working the way they used ta.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts