Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm a newb to the road bike scene and I have what may very well be a stupid question, but I am curious about this. When I ride my mtb I wear a camelback and I store my pump in it as well as a multi tool and some other things that I need when I go out riding. When I ride my road bike though, I'm gonna throw a set of bottle cages on my bike so I won't need my camelback. Here's my question though. Where do you guys carry your pumps when you ride. I was looking at some bike pics in the gallery on here and i didn't see anyone with pumps mounted on their bikes. I was just wondering where you put them. Also, aside from a pump and patch kit, what other items are necessary to bring along for a ride. Thanks in advance guys for your replies.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I carry my pump in my jersey pocket. Unless you're riding tubular tires, take at least 1 extra tube, patch kit, tire levers, pump, and a rag. I use an underseat wedge bag to carry all that. I wrap everything tightly in the rag, which keeps it from rattling while riding. Also comes in handy for wiping your hands after changing a tire.

Other necessities are cell phone, a small multi tool, and a $20 wrapped up in the rag with the rest of the stuff.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I use a frame pump (Zefal HPX) mounted along the top tube, but you'll also see mini pumps attached at the bottle cage and/or CO2 cartridges stashed in a jersey poket.

I think Mr. Versatile's list does it for the average ride. Here in Colorado, anything in the mountains (and sometimes even in the flats) also requires carrying a rain jacket because of our summer monsoons and otherwise changeable weather. I don't carry a rag but I probably should. I've certainly wished for one at times...

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Frame pump under the top tube. I have a small wedge pack under the seat, much like Mr. Versatile described. Have an extra tube, a small patch kit, a rag, small multi tool, and a small first aid kit in the wedge bag. Keep the cash in my handlebars (don't tell anybody)...

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I fit everything to the bike. Pump goes on a clip on the seat tube. Spare tube, patches, levers, tools, boot cut from old tire, etc all go in a small seat pack. If everything is always on the bike, I won't forget it. Also, putting it all on the bike leaves my jersey pockets free for jacket, food, and cell phone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a blackburn airstick, a saddle wedge, and some cages today to mount on the bike. For mtb'ing, it all goes in the camelback but I guess on a road bike better to mount the pump and some cages right on the bike since I won't be using my camelback.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have my pump on top of the top bar. I've seen pumps fastened to the bottom "trailing" bar. This is the bar that goes from the bottom of the bike at the crank to where the rear axle and derailleur are. I get my velco straps from Performance Bike because they are long, wide, and have nice foam padding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.