Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings

This is for 700*23C road tyres with tubes (regular clinchers).

Is it ok to pump them up the night before the early morning ride? I usually go out ~6am and trying to save every 2 minutes in the morning. Will the tyres lose much pressure in ~12 hours overnight? I usually ride them at 100psi/7bar. Should I pump them up to 110psi to allow for any leakage?

thanks in advance

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,697 Posts
acid_rider said:
greetings

This is for 700*23C road tyres with tubes (regular clinchers).

Is it ok to pump them up the night before the early morning ride? I usually go out ~6am and trying to save every 2 minutes in the morning. Will the tyres lose much pressure in ~12 hours overnight? I usually ride them at 100psi/7bar. Should I pump them up to 110psi to allow for any leakage?

thanks in advance
In 12 hours time?
Depends on tubes of course-YMMV,I'd say no-but you should at least check your pressure by hand B4 hitting the road.

Try pumping up tonight and measuring/feeling in the morning--
my bet is you won't see much diff.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did that

Room 1201 said:
In 12 hours time?
Depends on tubes of course-YMMV,I'd say no-but you should at least check your pressure by hand B4 hitting the road.

Try pumping up tonight and measuring/feeling in the morning--
my bet is you won't see much diff.
thanks. I pumped them up to 110psi last night (allowing for 10psi leakage in 12 hours) and did the fingers/pressure test and they felt ok this morning. But I can not tell the difference between 100psi and 80psi, if I check by hand, so I am guessing here..... I can feel if the 700*23C clincher tyre is below 80psi but from ~80psi+ it all seems to feel the same to me, rock hard 8^) This is why I asked.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,406 Posts
Will be fine for 24-48 hours.......unless you have latex tubes.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
How about the week before?

As others have noted, it will depend on your specific situation, but I use Michelin 70 gm tubes, and my tires lose less 15 psi per WEEK. IOW, 2 psi per day. Very few of us have gauges that are accurate to 2 psi. Typically, I only pump my tires once or twice a week.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Same here.

Kerry Irons said:
As others have noted, it will depend on your specific situation, but I use Michelin 70 gm tubes, and my tires lose less 15 psi per WEEK. IOW, 2 psi per day. Very few of us have gauges that are accurate to 2 psi. Typically, I only pump my tires once or twice a week.
I'll only pump my tires up once, maybe 2 times per week at the most. Sometimes not even during the week, just go home and ride. Your tubes are not going to lose that much pressure. Heck, I've taken several weeks off of the bike, gone back, pumped up the tires, and still had them around 90 after a few weeks. People, you don't need to put air in your tires every single time you ride. That's also a good way to go through a lot of tubes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not my case.
I need to check my tires every time i ride.
I dont always ride daily cause i mix my road riding with my mtb. but i always pump my tires to 100psi and the other day i check them they are around 90 or even lower.
But the real question i have got...?
Why dont you take 2 min of your time to check if your tire lost preassure?
You wont have to do it again if it doesnt and it would be better rference than anything we might tell you.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what if I did?

MR_GRUMPY said:
Will be fine for 24-48 hours.......unless you have latex tubes.
thank you everyone who replied.

Re above: what if I did have latex tube? I actually have no idea what kind of tube I have....

·
Registered
543 Posts
I find my tires/tubes lose about 1 to 2 lbs per day typically about 10 lbs per week. This at least for me has been consistant with diffdfent tires and tubes. I usually pump the tires up the night before and don't worry about the half pound I might lose. I have been gradually reducing pressure in my tires over the past few months. I used to pump the rear up to around 115-120 lbs and the front 110. After reading posts on the forums I had been keeping the rear about 108 and the front 105. My last ride I got a flat in the rear tire in a group ride and someone with a better pump than I have pumped up the tire after replacing the tube. We both felt the pressure which, seemed OK and went on to another 25 miles before the ride was done. When I got home I checked the pressure with a digital gauge and it was 90 lbs. Next time maybe I'll reduce the pressure to around 100. BTW I'm a 210 lb rider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts