Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Puncture Remedy Suggestions

744 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jmess 
#1 · (Edited)
I just put Vittoria Diamante Pro's w/ Kvlar protection 220 tpi on my new build and have put 300 miles on them so far. Yesterday I ran over something sharp and got what looks like a needle puncture. The LBS guy said I shouldn't run the tire due to the high pressure.

Can I use a tire boot or a piece of duct tape and still use the tire? I mean, I've used it for less than two weeks.

THX

#3 ·
Unless the puncture cut the threads in the casing so that it might rip further and rupture under pressure, I would just put a small tube patch over the hole from the inside and ride it. A "needle puncture" doesn't sound too serious to me. If you want to seal the hole at the tread, apply some gel CA glue to the hole to keep debris from entering.

#7 ·
Skip the duct tape, use a little bit of contact cement to hold the boot in place.

Make sure the boot will cover the glue on the inside of the tire so the tube does not get stuck in the future. When the tire has air in it there will be more then enough pressure to hold the boot in place. The glue is not there to fix the hole but to keep the boot from sliding around when you are mounting the tire or fixing another flat out on the road in the future.

#8 ·
If it is a pin hole, tyvex should be fine. I booted with tyvex on a cut that a bit too large and forgot about it. Eventually, after about a month or two, the Tyvex gave out just due to wear from stuff getting into the cut and I flatted. By then I had a few Park tire boots in my bag and that did the trick. They're quite large so I cut them in half to make them go further. Your tire should last a normal lifetime with either tyvex or a boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.