Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Celebrated getting a new commuter by making its 1st ride a metric of 63 miles.

#1) Started out in the suburbia part of Virginia Beach.
#2) Detoured off the normal Pungo Death Ride route by sticking on Charity Neck Rd. until turning west at Gum Bridge Rd., then south on Princess Anne Rd. You'll see a very good reason why momentarily. Detouring onto Princess Anne, a 2-lane 55mph road w/ no shoulder, is not fun. But since the detour is only 2 miles, it's not terrible.
#3) Better than ANY Cliff Bar or GU! At only $0.82, cheaper, too.
#4) The detour takes you past the place that I bought the peach from (it's on the east side of Princess Anne).
#5) Celebrate surviving 2 miles on Princess Anne by turning east onto Mill Landing Rd.
#6) When you get to the normal route Nanney Creek Rd. & see the stripped pavement (hopefully not in preparation for chipseal) you avoided, you'll be glad you took the detour.
#7) Creech's, the only convenience store within a 15-ish mile radius of Pungo Ferry Bridge, w/ clean bathrooms, a bike rack, bananas, fig newtons & (sometimes) other electrolytes. The other frog is a Cat 2 who claims that he biked the above-mentioned version of Paris-Roubaix because it's good for handling skills. Guess that's just 1 more nail in the coffin for this 39-year old frog ever turning pro!
#8) Pungo Ferry Bridge over the Intra-coastal Waterway.
#9) As good as it gets in a flat coastal area.
#10) After crossing PFB, turned North onto Blackwater Rd.
#11 & #12) Whether in the rural areas or sprawl areas, going from VB to Chesapeake is merely a sign change. The speck between the phone wires in #12 is an E-2C Hawkeye.
#13 & #14) Hmmm.... they don't prohibit BBQ's. No mention about political fund-raisers, either.
#15) The new Fat Frogs LBS on Hanbury Rd- look at the lower LH-corner at the shop w/ the green-lettered sign.
#16) Humor inside the above.
#17 &18) Back in VB on Kempsville Rd- again, just a sign change. 3 lanes w/ plenty of room make a well-travelled road more or less safe.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I had great times there riding from Fat Frogs and the courthouse before that. I still don't miss it enough to move back. I do miss the Saturday morning mayhem starting at 7:15 at Starbucks and then picking up the Conti's ride at 8:30. Riding from the house in Kempsville would give me almost 70 miles with an average approaching 24 mph.

It all looks the same as it did four years ago.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jd3 said:
Is that a Trek Portland? Tell us about the bike.
It sure is. It's a NOS 2006 that I bought at a closeout price. In the 74.91 miles that I've put on it so far, I really like it (there was a short 11+ mile test ride after the LBS swapped out the triple for a compact).

But I want to wait a few more days until posting the thread over in the Trek forum. Some people have told me that I should stay w/ the long-cage rear der. instead of the short-cage that I had put on it. There is also a problem w/ 50/12- feathering seems to help it somewhat, but... point is, I want to wait til everything's all worked out so that I can encourage other 'wouldn't be caught dead riding a triple' types to consider buying a Portland. It seems to be a great fast commuter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.