Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggested routes? I'm kind of new to riding on roads, so I'd like to avoid the busy highways with no shoulders.

Any info would be much appreciated.

BTW - For now, I'm planning on taking the W&OD out to Purcellville, and going from there. So mileage would be helpful too.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The really simple way on Saturday or Sunday morning.

At the exact end of the trail turn right on 690.

When 690 ends at a T intersection go left on Charles Town Pike.

In about 3 miles go right at a Y intersection onto 671 Harpers Ferry Road.

When 671 ends at a T intersection go left on 340. 2 more miles or so you cross the Shenendoah River and have arrived in Harpers Ferry.

Traffic gets a little worse every year but on weekends it still isn't all that bad.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...7ryONtriitBibuGVSTPngyak5PZvXyPaQ==#map1-link

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The riding is fine out that way.

Brick Tamland said:
I was wondering about Charlestown Pike in specific. I really need to explore out that way - looks like some nice rolling hills.

Thanks again.
Getting to Harpers Ferry forces you on some of the busier roads out there.

You do know that the C&O Canal Tow Path also takes you directly to Harpers Ferry, right?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
You do know that the C&O Canal Tow Path also takes you directly to Harpers Ferry, right?
Yep. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the river and can hit the W&OD out my front door. I suppose I could cross over to the C&O at White's Ferry, but my main purpose is to sort of familiarize myself with Western LoCo. Out and back to Harper's Ferry seemed a good place to start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.