Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six months ago I bought a Specialized Tarmac Comp-Double for US$2000. I did not want to spend that much at that point because I was not sure about whether I was going to like it or not. Now I know for sure I like it but I want to upgrade my bike. So I am debating whether to sell it and buy a new one w/ Ultegra/Dura Ace components and upgrading the wheels of that bike (~$450 difference) which would cost me around ~$3600. The other option is changing the rotating parts of my bike (Crank, shifters, Front derailleur, wheelset) for about US$1640. I can reduce this price by $200 by fishing something new in eBay. The wheelset would be Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium and the rest of the parts would me Ultegra.

My question is whether the upgrade is worth compare to selling the bike and buying a new one? And whether the changes would be noticeable for rider like me that rides around 100-120 miles a week (18-22 mph).
Thanks.

· Registered
535 Posts
I think you'll notice the biggest changes from the wheels.

For what it's worth, I also have an 08 Tarmac Comp. I wanted to the Mavic Ksyrium SL and was advised by many (on multiple sites) to instead check out the Easton EA 90 SL wheels. Almost the same weight as the Mavic's, adjustable hubs, just don't have bladed spokes or look quite as cool, however after riding a set of SLs for 100 miles and now the EA 90 wheels a couple times (my neighbor has the ksyrium and I bought the SL) I can't tell much difference between the two. The main difference I noticed was $400 for the Eastons and $950-$1050 for the Mavics :eek:

I don't think you'll notice a ton of difference by swapping out the crankset or shifters. You can probably lose a bit of weight in the cranks but not sure how noticeable that will be when you go riding.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,545 Posts
What are you after in upgrading?

Hmmmm?

This has all the symptoms of a case of upgrade-itis.

What do you not like about your rig the way it is? There will always be newer ginchier toys, and unless you have a clear notion of what you want, and why what you have now is no longer functionally good enough-you're never going to be satisfied.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nachomc said:
I think you'll notice the biggest changes from the wheels.

For what it's worth, I also have an 08 Tarmac Comp. I wanted to the Mavic Ksyrium SL and was advised by many (on multiple sites) to instead check out the Easton EA 90 SL wheels. Almost the same weight as the Mavic's, adjustable hubs, just don't have bladed spokes or look quite as cool, however after riding a set of SLs for 100 miles and now the EA 90 wheels a couple times (my neighbor has the ksyrium and I bought the SL) I can't tell much difference between the two. The main difference I noticed was $400 for the Eastons and $950-$1050 for the Mavics :eek:

I don't think you'll notice a ton of difference by swapping out the crankset or shifters. You can probably lose a bit of weight in the cranks but not sure how noticeable that will be when you go riding.
Thanks fo the advice. I already checked the reviews but there are only 2. One good one and one bad one. The only concern I have is whether these wheels will hold my weight of 203 lbs? Other than that it looks like a good option.
Did you upgrade the other components in your bike?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Room 1201 said:
Hmmmm?

This has all the symptoms of a case of upgrade-itis.

What do you not like about your rig the way it is? There will always be newer ginchier toys, and unless you have a clear notion of what you want, and why what you have now is no longer functionally good enough-you're never going to be satisfied.
Thanks for your feedback. I want to be more efficient in my riding. Somehow I feel I can go faster w/ a new set of good wheels keeping everything else constant. I have been told that the wheels is my best bet.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
russotto said:
It just depends on how much you can get for the bike. Don't forget to figure in labor if you can't do all the upgrades yourself.
You are totally right. That's the only problem about the purchase. I figure I'll loose around $500-$600 in the sale. Labor is free in both places that I checked for my upgrades since I am buying the components there. thanks for your feedback.

· Registered
535 Posts
escarabajo08 said:
Thanks fo the advice. I already checked the reviews but there are only 2. One good one and one bad one. The only concern I have is whether these wheels will hold my weight of 203 lbs? Other than that it looks like a good option.
Did you upgrade the other components in your bike?
I weigh 208 right now. There are two versions of the EA90 - the SLx and the SL. The SL are made specifically for the "heavier, stronger rider" :). Haven't upgraded any other components.

· papa sboak
1,022 Posts
If you MUST upgrade... do the wheels and watch the weight of the tubes and tires you choose.

105 is a great groupset. If your brakes are sub-105, then have them swapped out.

Your bike already rocks. Going up, you will run past the point of diminishing returns. You will get nicer stuff, but not much nicer for a hefty price.

In the end, your call.

My advice would be... if you like your bike, then keep it and upgrade the wheelset, tubes, tires. (no labor involved) and brakes if necessary. Then save up for your "dream bike" and don't upgrade or buy anything but EXACTLY what you want in EVERY way.

Or...

spend valuable riding time researching a new bike and sell your current one for one ever so slightly better for the peace of mind of knowing that you have a better bike (please buy the new bike before selling the current one... even if you have to put it on plastic... there is a chance that you will like the current one better). Higher cost? yes, but will provide you with more options.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying the Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels only. Did not upgrade anything else. After reading the feedbacks in this forum and talking to the people at the local shop it convinced me that the wheels are the main upgrade that you can do to a bike. Besides I can take this wheels to a new bike if I want to change later. The problem was which type of wheels. After reading some feedback on the Easton EA90 SL and the Mavic Ksyrium SL I decided to go w/ the Mavic, basically because of the lower risk on reliability. I know they are more expensive but at my weight and my cycling habits I did not want to come back to the shop for broken spokes. I am not sure if all this difference is completely true but I just did not want to run the risk.
I did upgrade the stem so I am better fitted to the bike, but as evrybody knows seat and stems are the first upgrades that everybody does because they concern your comfort in the bike.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.