Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can you purchase chain in bulk form rather than the standard package 110+/- link form? I would really like to purchase some SRAM chains in bulk.

Why? With one tandem (two chains there, and one really long one!), two mtb, two road, one commuter, and then the wife's bikes, and the kids bikes, .....well, you get the idea.

Any suggestions? I tried my LBS, ha ha! No go. I've searched mail order.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Same place you get your whips.

Sounds like a good idea. You can buy cable housing by the foot, why not chains.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
DMtbRider said:
Where can you purchase chain in bulk form rather than the standard package 110+/- link form? I would really like to purchase some SRAM chains in bulk.

Why? With one tandem (two chains there, and one really long one!), two mtb, two road, one commuter, and then the wife's bikes, and the kids bikes, .....well, you get the idea.

Any suggestions? I tried my LBS, ha ha! No go. I've searched mail order.

Thanks,
Daniel
A suggestion would be to find out what industrial application uses SRAM chains. Maybe an industrial supply house

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I've never heard of bicycle chain sold on reels. The closest I can think of, is industrial chain #43, which can be used on one speed bikes. It's way too wide to use on 7, 8, or 9 speed systems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Example of bulk chain....

Here's a photo (I hope, I've never tried uploading a photo to the discussion board before. Crossing my fingers) of a HPV organization that has bulk chain.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Great photo!

DMtbRider said:
a HPV organization that has bulk chain.
That would be the hitch in buying chain in bulk. There is a big difference between 5 chains in separate boxes and a bulk equivalent of 50 chains on a spool. Once you factor in the time to get through all that chain, there's likely not much savings over stocking up on individual chains when they are on sale. I wonder what that spool weighed when it was new/full.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
A 100' reel would weigh under 25 pounds

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
My old shop...

used to order bulk SRAM PC-48 chains from QBP...they'd come as separate chains in a large box with a ziplock bag of the master links. QBP currently has PC-48, PC-58, and PC-59 chains available in bulk comes in a box of 25 chains. I assume that a shop will sell you a box of these.

I just did the math...they're not really that good deal to buy them that way. For the PC-59, it saves about a $1.00/chain (at wholesale prices).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.