Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found it increasingly more difficult to purchase non disc road rims for my bike. I prefer Mavic and require 36 hole. Does anybody have a source for them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have found it increasingly more difficult to purchase non disc road rims for my bike. I prefer Mavic and require 36 hole. Does anybody have a source for them?
Well, Mavic just hasn't been all there these last couple of years, if you know what I mean.

Perhaps Kinlin might have a good substitute rim, or DT, Velocity, Sun, etc.

Not sure what your usual supplier is stocking(?).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked on Mavic's homepage. For a clincher rim for rim brakes I found 0 listed.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,615 Posts
Lots of rim brake rim options still out there. Depending on how much you want to spend, the Kinlin XR31T, DT Swiss R460 and H+ Son Archetype are a great bang for the buck. The Boyd Altamont costs a bit more. If you are flush, go with the HED Belgium +. All are way, way better than anything with the name Mavic on it, although if you have to go with Mavic, the A-719 is one of their better efforts. I would avoid the Open Pro as they are known for spoke hole cracks.

You can do a search here:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, being 74 I guess I am thinking of the old days when rims were cheap. I have not needed to buy one for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have a 36H MA-40 in my garage that has never been laced up that you can have. But it’s a 27 inch rim.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Lots of rim brake rim options still out there. Depending on how much you want to spend, the Kinlin XR31T, DT Swiss R460 and H+ Son Archetype are a great bang for the buck. The Boyd Altamont costs a bit more. If you are flush, go with the HED Belgium +. All are way, way better than anything with the name Mavic on it, although if you have to go with Mavic, the A-719 is one of their better efforts. I would avoid the Open Pro as they are known for spoke hole cracks.

You can do a search here:

Open Pros may be known anecdotally for problems, but statistically they remain one of the most popular rims made.

Mavic's track record speaks for itself.

Your MMV.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,615 Posts
Open Pros may be known anecdotally for problems, but statistically they remain one of the most popular rims made.

Mavic's track record speaks for itself.

Your MMV.
Popular does not mean good. Something can be popular as in sell a lot of units, but then develop problems down the road.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Mavic's track record"?

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Popular does not mean good. Something can be popular as in sell a lot of units, but then develop problems down the road.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Mavic's track record"?
Something popular can also sell a lot of units because the people who bought them like them and don't have problems. If the product continues to draw customers over years, it suggests customers are satisfied.

"Mavic's track record" is the lasting success of Open Pros.

You have your opinion, Mavic's customers have theirs.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,615 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Xxl, did you look at this?
Yes, it is a collection of anecdotes, from people who bothered to review them here. I trust you realize that it's neither a representative sampling of OP users over time, nor are there any comparison "anecdote logs" of competing rims and their users.

I have yet to see data that demonstrate OPs fail more than competing rims. I suspect that Mavics being "known" for this is a function of how many of them are on the road.

Cf. Availability heuristic bias: Availability heuristic - Wikipedia

·
Registered
637 Posts
It may not be a double blind test, which is pretty unheard of, but I’d say all the different reviews here could be considered an “anecdote log” at their least.
nor are there any comparison "anecdote logs" of competing rims and their users.
Think you could call the reviews here a “representative sampling” as well. Not ideal but representative.

I don’t think this bias is happening with the reviewers on here:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,615 Posts
It may not be a double blind test, which is pretty unheard of, but I’d say all the different reviews here could be considered an “anecdote log” at their least.
Well isn't this what ratings and reviews are? Consumer Reports reliability ratings on products are based on reader responses. Should we dismiss these as anecdotal and not trust these either? After all, that is what any salesperson who is trying to sell you a flawed product will tell you.

·
Registered
637 Posts
An anecdote log? Seems an education term: What is an anecdotal log?

Reviewers being self-selecting here and there adds bias to the data but I’d think they’d be more likely to give a positive review for something they bought. Dont know what that phenomena is called but I refer to it at the moment as the colnago c64 syndrome.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I was rim brake wheel shopping a year ago and I had loads of options. I wound up buying a set of Dura Ace C-24s. I have only about 1/2 a season on them but I’m pleased so far. I Mavic Cosmic wheels on my aero Scott Foil. I’ve read loads of knocks on Mavic, but in my experience, I have done awful things to these wheels and they roll like brand new. I have not had to do anything to them. They are heavy by most standards but they have been strong and reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Think you could call the reviews here a “representative sampling” as well. Not ideal but representative.

I don’t think this bias is happening with the reviewers on here:
You could call the sixty-nine or so reviews (and over how many years?) representative, but you'd be wrong; the folks who bother to post reviews tend to not be reflective of the larger market in general (for one, they're motivated enough to write reviews, when the vast majority of customers simply don't do this).

Also, RBR is not the only place where reviews might be found.

Self-selection bias is exactly the problem with treating online reviews as representative of a larger group.

The availability heuristic comes into play when people are recalling events (such as hearing about problems with a product); the more easily such a memory is recalled, the more likely the problem will be magnified in the "recollector's" mind.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts