Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been replacing some of the parts on my Kona Paddy Wagon and today I put on a new Thomson X2 stem. Though this problem is not exclusive to the new stem as the old Kona stem had the same problem, the cutaways on the stem show the raw fork steer tube, which I think is quite ugly. What are other people doing about this? Did you leave it or did you do something creative?

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Pull off the stem and use perm. marker. Should hold up for a while. haha. I don't know how well paint would work. You'd scuff it all off when you slid the stem back on I'm guessing..

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Permanent markers aren't. They will rapidly turn purple and fade when exposed to the sun. Buy a small rattle can of Krylon black at the drugstore and paint it. Just wipe it off thoroughly with alcohol first. It should last for a couple of years, at least.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd go to Auto Zone, and get some touch-up paint to match the frame to paint it with.
Not only will you solve your problem with your stem, you will also have some touch-up for your farme to!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I just ran a bit of fine sandpaper around my aluminum steerer to make it look brushed. Still looks great after a couple of years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.