Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would give Purple Extreme a try after hearing some good things about it a while ago on this forum. I have previously used home brew, triflow, boeshield T9, finish line, and prolink.

I'm convinced that someone from this company was trolling the forums extolling this product, because after using this stuff for several months I see NONE of the benefits claimed.

Apply 400+ miles. Good joke, but I'm not laughing. In my experience, it's more like 100 miles in dry conditions, at which point the chain will sound like it’s completely dry. Horrible sound.

Designed to run chains in saltwater. Whatever. If you hit a puddle, it's time to reapply. I'm not exaggerating. If I so much as run over a puddle, the chain begins singing to me. Keyword here is DESIGNED. Obviously not a very good design.

Will not wash off in rain, blah blah blah. See above. It really is ridiculous, a puddle will merit reapplication.

Runs clean, doesn't attract dirt. This is perhaps my favorite one. Purple Extreme is a dirt magnet. There is gunk everywhere. I have never experienced a gunked up drive train until now. Normally there is only dirt or dirty lube stuck to the cogs, but Purple Extreme actually causes large clumps to stick. The other day I was holding a rag to my derailleur pulley to do a routine cleaning. When I was finished, there was a lube cake on the rag. I was in shock. The stuff isn’t easy to remove either, it sticks really well. I had to use my fingernails through the rag to scrape the stuff off.

Purple Extreme really is the worst bike lube I’ve ever used. I used to think home brew was the biggest pain in the ass because it could get pretty messy, but at least the mess was easy to clean and it worked great. Fine, so it sounds like I’m not being fair, but it’s hard to sound fair when the product really is that bad. :mad:

2 stars. I gave it 2 instead of 1 because it gave me a chance to contribute something to RBR.

---END RANT---

· Banned
92 Posts
I've used the stuff for two years now and really like it. Cleans up very nicely with simple green and a chain cleaner.

The trick with this is to apply the DAY BEFORE you ride just like many of the other chain products out there. If you put in on just before you ride, 90% will fly off and not soak into the links.

I'll never go back to anything like white lightning or oil based chain lubes again.

· Registered
431 Posts
Ditto for me. I think PE really needs to go on a clean chain as well. I never get more than 200 miles on a lub, but like Mr. Clean said, it need to sit overnight to dry. I go for a ride, clean the chain afterwards, let dry, and then before bed apply PE. Wipe in morning, ready to ride that afternoon. Do it like that, and it works fine in water.

chris

· Well-read hooligan
118 Posts
Sounds like there's no drinking problem at all ...

stinkydub said:
your drinking problems just wasted your time and more importantly, my time...stay in bed
...it looks like he's got it down pat (it's just the posting after the fact that is the problem.)

Lighten up Francis ... if you view any time on the web as anything other than wasted you need to go out and ride.

· Registered
118 Posts
Purple Extreme has been disappointing to me as well

Drinking problem aside, I'm with the initial comments. My (brief) experienced with Purple Extreme was bad as well.
1. Did not last very long
2. Must clean chain before applying over any other lube (?!?!?!?!)

Maybe some people clean their chain after every ride, but I'm proud to remember to wipe the chaind own with a cloth after a ride.

I didn't find that it would last 100 miles (and that's applying it the night before and riding in relatively dry conditions.

Prolink has you use it to flush out the dirt and old lube. My experience has been that ProLink will last >100 miles easily.

Oh well; lubes are like religions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.