Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been re-cabling wife's and I's bikes and felt the brake action on her rear Tektro dual pivot brake was sluggish. My question is, what exactly are the 2 set screws for? Any hints or tips about rebuilding these brakes are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The set screws swing the brakes left and right. The mechanism is much like the limit screw on a derailleur. If the brakes aren't perfectly centered when you install them, you can use the set screw to get them perfectly centered.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These set screws are on the underside of each pivot arm. Are you referring to the setscrew that is on top of the brake that is used for centering?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife had the same brakes on her bike and had an issue with them sticking. My shop wrench told me they don't have bearings in them like a more expensive set of brakes would, instead they have bushings at the pivot.

Some grime and gunk will make the bushings sticky. They need to be cleaned with some frenquency depending on how much she rides. I fixed the ones on my wife's bike with a new set of ultegra brakes after I got sick of them always being sticky!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.