Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to push back Shimano ceramic disc caliper pistons without risking damage?

After you fully push them in, do they sit flush with the caliper metal surface? On mine, I could not push them in all the way/ they still stuck up a little.

·
Registered
23,632 Posts
Make sure you clean them before you push them back in. Remove any crud from the perimeter that could prevent them from pushing into the seal. Or it could push dirt past your seal and into the system. You don't want that.

They sit pretty flush. Not quite exactly flush if I recall.
There's a special tool to push them in. But I've always found a plastic tire lever works perfect. And won't damage them.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,740 Posts
The reason you can't push them back in all the way is probably this: When you have a hydraulic brake system it makes up for pad wear by pumping more fluid from the reservoir into the system. It doesn't go backwards so it (can be pretty) hard to push the pistons back in. You might need to open the bleed port on the caliper and let a little mineral oil come out as you push the pistons back in. As tlg posted make sure you clean them before. Q-tip and mineral oil. Clean and dry the inside of the caliper before putting new pads in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts