Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Not a bad price if it's in ok condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Guitar looks fine. Don't worry about the strings. Whoever put the strings on simply didn't bother to trim the ends, or to artfully coil them. Sometimes you're just in a hurry. Some folks think it's macho and pro to leave 'em straggling.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
label reads "korea."

still might be worthwhile.

just play it before purchase. make sure it's not warped.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
label reads "korea."

still might be worthwhile.

just play it before purchase. make sure it's not warped.
Yeah. They should include a picture of the fingerboard and strings from the side, so you can get some idea what the action is like.

I used to leave strings like that sometimes. I thought of it as more folkie/hippie than macho/pro, but it was a bit of an image thing in any event. No functional effect either way.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I have a DG 14s that has been my boon companion for about 15 years. Made in China it seems on looking at the label right now. I think I paid about $300 or thereabouts new.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I'd meet at a reputable guitar shop and have it looked at before making any final decisions. I've been burned on used acoustic guitar purchases before.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Check the top by sighting down the neck. I don't know about Houston, but here in the winter dry/summer humid climate of New England, guitar tops move around a lot if the climate isn't well controlled (generally by keeping the guitar in a hardshell case with a good guitar humidifier). The bigger the guitar, the more of an issue it is. Unless the top is plywood, in which case forget everything I just said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our weather is tough on stringed instruments. Its the heat, and humidity, and sunlight. If the instrument remains in the house it will be OK - we all have air conditioning running regularly for three seasons, and a lot in winter, or the humidity plus heat destroy your home with mold.

Once you move from one air-conditioned space to another, it is really tough. Especially with a classical guitar, since the heat and sun will stretch the strings out.

My fifth-grader just finished trucking a cello, in a good case and bungied to a hand cart, on his walk to school two days a week for school strings practice/lessons. They were diligent about tuning almost everyday - that is a lot of tuning - the teachers did not want the ids messing up the tuning, so the teachers (plus a HS volunteer) did all the tuning for violins, violas, and cellos. Kudos to the teachers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.