Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot going on in May and it is always a good month to ride.

Turns out it is a good month to retire too! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I wanted a campout, but didn`t have much time. I almost made an official Grant Peterson sub24 (missed it by about two hours) and caught my "neighborhood" in it`s anual fifteen minutes of green and even got a little rain.

YetiSurly, are those from your last round with the AZT? I`ll have to get over to bikepacker and check out the rest.

·
Eat fried chicken.
120 Posts
Oregon 600k-XTR

This past weekend (05/30-31) I completed the Oregon Randonneurs 600k XTR. It was brutal, the hardest ride. The ride included 21,000ft of climbing and temperatures in the 90s. There were high points and low points but in the end I completed the ride within the time limit and am now a "Super Randonneur". High points included epic descents, beautiful scenery, no rain, awesome control staff and great riding companions. Low points included long exposed climbs in the heat, long solo climbs in the middle of the night, only getting 1.5 hrs sleep, the heat and a long exposed climb in the last 25 miles.

Toward the end I was thinking to myself how next year I won't do anything longer than 300k, absolutely no 400 or 600k's. The next morning, barely 12hrs after finishing I was sending an email to a friend asking if he thought he might want to join me for the Cascade 1200k next year.

Sorry for the lousy photos but I think they convey some of the idea of the ride. I need to upgrade my camera at some point.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Just wow. 600km is pretty much an unattainable fantasy for me. Awesome.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Really don't have any I haven't already posted

So here's one of how I've felt on the last couple of rides:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Zoobombers are one of Portland's many eccentric bike groups. They get together pretty much every Sunday evening and "bomb" their bikes down the hills near the Portland Zoo. Many of them ride minibikes or kid's bikes to increase the thrill.

For years they have been locking their "lending library" of kid's bikes to a rack in front of Powell's bookstore at W Burnside and 10th. Recently someone commissioned a new public art exhibit to celebrate the zoobombers and serve as a new rack to hold the "zoobomb pyle" of bikes.

Even the mayor of Portland showed up to cut the ribbon last Friday as the sculpture/bike rack was unveiled.

This city is amazing.

Topped with a golden mini-bike.

Mayor Sam Adams cuts the ribbon.

Enjoy,

Scott

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here are some from the annual Toronto Criterium. It was a fun time.
The car at the back was a nice retro Ferrari.
Didn't see any crashes, but I was only able to hang out for 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
7 days in May

We spent a couple of days on the North Carolina coast kayaking around the Pamlico River with temperatures in the 80s. After we got home, I found out that we had a death in my family out in Colorado. A few days later, I was on top of Mount Evans at 14,130' with the temperature about 32 F. Talk about going from high to low, or was it low to high?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
2007 was especially good in Italy. Met some interesting people in the Rome airport. The guy at the far end of the couch had a good start to July but it ended badly. Otherwise it was Sean Yates, Popovych, and Axel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.