Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Daylight Fading
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps it's been asked, but I don't recall.

It seems as though the dopers seem to primarily come from the ranks for the GC guys and the domestiques, but not the sprinters (other than Petacchi....and we can even debate his "positive.").

Can anyone list out the recent positives coming from the sprinter's ranks?

Why are they not doping? Is it really that they can sit in the peloton and suffer for 4+ hours and kick in their afterburners for 5 K.....without dope? It seems so, because none of them are being caught.

Anyone got a list for me?

bt

·
Banned
608 Posts
They are taking stuff during training and the offseason. Not so much during a stage race.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The dope is of equal benefit to all cyclists. Power is power, whether going uphill or sprinting. It's all about repeatability and a sprinter on the sauce will arrive at the end of 120miles much fresher and sharper than a clean one. A doped sprinter will be faster on the 8th day of a stage race than a clean one. All the same benefits.

Track guys get caught doping and their events range from 30seconds to 20 minutes in duration (mostly).

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
davidka said:
The dope is of equal benefit to all cyclists. Power is power, whether going uphill or sprinting. It's all about repeatability and a sprinter on the sauce will arrive at the end of 120miles much fresher and sharper than a clean one. A doped sprinter will be faster on the 8th day of a stage race than a clean one. All the same benefits.

Track guys get caught doping and their events range from 30seconds to 20 minutes in duration (mostly).
But not all dope is equal. Track guys get caught for doping, but not for EPO. The majority of guys getting caught for doping in the Tour are not trying to increase their power, but rather their endurance. Nearly anyone can produce 450 watts on a bike, but those who can sustain it are the ones who win in the mountains and in the time trials. EPO and CERA won't increase a cyclist's ability to produce 1400-1800 watts in the finishing sprint, just like anabolic steroids won't be beneficial for a climber or time trialist who wants to sustain wattage.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Racer C said:
But not all dope is equal. Track guys get caught for doping, but not for EPO. The majority of guys getting caught for doping in the Tour are not trying to increase their power, but rather their endurance. Nearly anyone can produce 450 watts on a bike, but those who can sustain it are the ones who win in the mountains and in the time trials. EPO and CERA won't increase a cyclist's ability to produce 1400-1800 watts in the finishing sprint, just like anabolic steroids won't be beneficial for a climber or time trialist who wants to sustain wattage.
Yes, they do. Look at what the Balco-boss Victor Conte writes about Dwain Chambers here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/athletics/article3941984.ece

100m dash runner, and taking EPO!!!

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
tricycletalent said:
Yes, they do. Look at what the Balco-boss Victor Conte writes about Dwain Chambers here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/athletics/article3941984.ece

100m dash runner, and taking EPO!!!
I'm sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. Like Crooked said, that sprinter was taking EPO during the off season to increase their training capacity, but during the Tour, it wouldn't be all that advantageous for a cycling sprinter to be doing EPO considering that the energy savings of endurance enhancing drugs can be made up for elsewhere. If you watch the stages carefully, you'll see the sprinters purposefully getting dropped on hills midway through the stage to save energy for the finale, then have their teams pace them back up. In the most recent issue of Procycling, Marcel Wust and Robbie McEwen talk about this. On a day like today's stage with a hill near the finish, the lighter sprinters who can climb better make a much bigger impact like Friere and Zabel. I guess my point is that it's much less necessary for a sprinter to take EPO to win than it is for other riders.

·
Registered
650 Posts
hondo has been busted a few times for various drugs. but i feel in general that the effects of epo and the like are better suited to riders who have to sustain a high lactate threshold for a long time sprinters are just that sprinters they thrive on the short and fast bursts of power. Yes on epo they will have the ability to go longer but so long as they are not using their power to bridge gaps etc they should still have a fast finishing burst, the reason Robbie (at his prime) and cav dont sprint for intermediates they have but one or two bursts per day.

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
do you mean what's his name?

You may have well entitled this thread 'why haven't all of the guys who haven't been caught doping been caught yet?' Who specifically are you refering to? The riders that you suspect are doping? Or just all of them?

·
Banned
608 Posts
Racer C said:
I'm sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. Like Crooked said, that sprinter was taking EPO during the off season to increase their training capacity, but during the Tour, it wouldn't be all that advantageous for a cycling sprinter to be doing EPO considering that the energy savings of endurance enhancing drugs can be made up for elsewhere. If you watch the stages carefully, you'll see the sprinters purposefully getting dropped on hills midway through the stage to save energy for the finale, then have their teams pace them back up. In the most recent issue of Procycling, Marcel Wust and Robbie McEwen talk about this. On a day like today's stage with a hill near the finish, the lighter sprinters who can climb better make a much bigger impact like Friere and Zabel. I guess my point is that it's much less necessary for a sprinter to take EPO to win than it is for other riders.
I think that may be it. Plus the dope that would really help sprinters is various steroids, perhaps undetectable designer ones, which would be done in training.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
slowdave said:
hondo has been busted a few times for various drugs. but i feel in general that the effects of epo and the like are better suited to riders who have to sustain a high lactate threshold for a long time sprinters are just that sprinters they thrive on the short and fast bursts of power. Yes on epo they will have the ability to go longer but so long as they are not using their power to bridge gaps etc they should still have a fast finishing burst, the reason Robbie (at his prime) and cav dont sprint for intermediates they have but one or two bursts per day.
Zabel admitted to doping recently.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Racer C said:
The majority of guys getting caught for doping in the Tour are not trying to increase their power, but rather their endurance. Nearly anyone can produce 450 watts on a bike, but those who can sustain it are the ones who win in the mountains and in the time trials.
Sorry, I was not clear enough in my first post. I was referring to sustainable power.

·
Daylight Fading
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh, forgot about Zabel

and Boonen's was an out of competition coke bust. I completely forgot about the track guys....I don't follow that.

Interesting take on the whole idea though, thanks, I appreciate the responses. If a sprinter doesn't need to dope during a stage race, as suggested, and is, in fact doping between races, then I wonder if the biologic passport and the newer guidelines adopted by CSC, Garmin and Columbia will catch them. I wonder why in the past all the out-of-competition drug testing that's been done hasn't caught them.

BTW, I'm not assuming that they are doping. In light of the recent crack down and the cleansing of the sport that seems to be occurring, I think the fact that none of the sprinters being caught is interesting and worth asking the question about.

BT

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Racer C said:
Zabel admitted to trying EPO once during the 96 Tour and never doing it again be he didn't like it/he didn't see any benefit for him.
Yeah he "tried it once." Only once. No reason to suspect his otherwise magnificent performance had anything to do with doping. Hell, he said so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.