Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a disagreement with a friend on the timing & amount.....

Since Early September, I have been hitting the weights 3 - 4 days per week. Free weights. At the same time, I was riding until the weather got bad, then did more running. Since Jan. 1, I've been trying to lose weight...get back to a "goal" weight in the next month or so....a torn calf muscle slowed me down to a stop for 6 weeks over Christmas. Ouch!!

Here's the question: I have toned up with the weight work. My strength (as judged by increasing amounts I can lift) has gone up significantly. How fast do you add muscle weight?? I'm not talking about toning, but actuall muscle mass over 4 - 5months of regular lifting. I'm guessing no more than 2-3 lbs but my workout partner says much more (and hence the reason my weight is up). He's thinking I've added 8-10lbs (ridiculous).

FYI: the kind of lifting is important. I am getting ready for a race in a few months call the "Pump and Run". The run is a 5k. The "pump" is bench press. For every rep of your body weight (195lbs) you get 30 seconds off the 5k time. For example: the winner last year did 30 reps and ran a 19 min 5K for a net time of 4 minutes. I've built up to being able to crank out 14-15 reps of 195lb in a row. In previous years, my lifting was only low weight/high rep. Hence, the disagreement.

·
Registered
164 Posts
How fast you add muscle weight is directly dependent on how much you eat, and how your program is structured. You can lift weights until the cows come home, but if you're not providing your body with excess calories, it can't make new muscle. Recovery also plays a big part, but since you're only lifting 3-4 times a week, it sounds like you're getting plenty of rest. Also, what type of lifts are you doing? Doing lower reps with higher weight will contribute to muscle hypertrophy.

A complete newbie to weight lifting can put on about 4-5 pounds of muscle in a month for the first 3-4 months, provided they do everything right. The amount of muscle you can add over a given amount of time decreases significantly after these "newbie gains".

So, if you've been lifting for almost 5 months, it's very possible you've gained 8 -10 pounds, possibly more depending on all of the above factors.

The easiest way to see how much weight you've gained is to, um, weight yourself.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn..er...oh heck

From your reply, I might have to admit to a friend that he's right and I'm wrong.

As for weighing myself...I rarely do it as long as I fit into my clothes well. My pants have fit so I didn't worry about it. I always check my weight in early January to get prepared for the cycling season. I was shocked to see 199lbs when I'm used to 190lbs but like to ride at 185lbs. I was upper 180's at the end of September. I knew I gained a couple of lbs over Xmas due to overeating and a torn calf muscle, but 10lbs !! My fellow gym-rat friend said that he thought a lot of my weight gain was muscle....hence..the disagreement. I"m not a newbie lifter. I lift year round (1-2 days per week during nice weather) but really ramped it up this year with bigger weights.

Maybe its' time to cut back on the weights. I gotta climb some Colorado mountains in June. I dont' want to haul 195lbs up those mountains...ouch.
Thanks...even though I probably lost the arguement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PaulCL said:
FYI: the kind of lifting is important. I am getting ready for a race in a few months call the "Pump and Run". The run is a 5k. The "pump" is bench press. For every rep of your body weight (195lbs) you get 30 seconds off the 5k time. For example: the winner last year did 30 reps and ran a 19 min 5K for a net time of 4 minutes. I've built up to being able to crank out 14-15 reps of 195lb in a row. In previous years, my lifting was only low weight/high rep. Hence, the disagreement.
Now that sounds like fun... with a 22min 5K, I could get my time to about 4 minutes too (I'm 190lbs). Wish we had that around here.

I ramp up my lifting over the winter, too. I lift throughout the year, but I lose a little bit of it during the summer when I ramp up the riding. All works out in the end I guess.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30 limit on the reps

Max reps that count are 30. But if you can do more in the contest, you do more. At the end of the run, there is a "pump king & queen" crowned by having the top 3 of each gender with the most reps have a "pump off". The top three men last year had over 40 reps in the post race pump-off.

Since my morning post, I doubled check the race rules. Much to my thrill, I found out that those of us over 40 only have to do 90% of our weight!! Yeah baby!! 175lbs....by the time of the race (one maybe in May and one definitely in September) my weight should be down to 185ish. That makes my rep weight only 168lbs or so!! I should get 30 with ease. The race was originated off of a bet between friends at a local gym. Now it has expanded to about 100 entrants raising money for an inner city gym. A good cause but a narrow audience. How many men/women do you know who can bench their weight numerous times without stopping (no rest at the top, no bouncing off the chest) and run a decent 5k time?? The pump & run portions are on different days.

Maybe you should start a contest in your area?? This will be my first year. This is the type of event that keeps me motivated to train. This year, I have planned: 1 or 2 pump/runs, one biathalon, two tri's, one trip to Colorado to ride for a week, and then toss in another dozen organized/disorganized centuries. Gotta have goals...

·
Registered
277 Posts
What Dez said....

If you know what you're doing in terms of lifting and diet - and you have major a$$ discipline, you can gain up to 2 lbs per week of lean muscle mass. I gained 10 lbs in 6 weeks at the begining of 'lifting seaon' earlier this winter and was not hitting it as hard as I could.

Lugging extra mass up the Mts here in CO sucks, but looking better than most can be worth it :)

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Get a body composition test

Do you know about what your body fat was before you started lifting? If so get it checked again. Even is you didn't, get it done anyway to see if loosing more fat weight is possible. For an adult male who does regular vigorous exercise a bf percentage of 6-10 is pretty lean. Whe cycling season starts up for you again, back off on the weight program and some of that muscle mass will be lost.

Find out if your club has someone experienced in skinfold meaurement. Most places will do it for free for their members.

BTW strength and hypertrophy don't necessarily go hand in hand. Hypertrophy also needs high load, ie: lots of sets or multiple exercises for tha same muscle group. If you only need to be good at the bench press for your race, focus on that, back off on other exercises and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts