Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local community gym is closed until mid-april for some sort of construction. I'm a believer in weights for cycling but now am stuck without a gym. As it's almost racing season as I haven't scheduled any on the bike power training I thought I might give plyometrics a go. I have good speed when sprinting but my jump is a little slow to wind up so plyometrics or some kind of powerful jumping action should be good.

Any recommendations about which exercises might be good?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but can tell you what a riding friend is doing for the same purpose. He has a "real" coach, who is helping him to improve "explosive" power for his sprints and jumps. My friend started with the coach in November, and in January or February began plyometric work.I did a workout with him a couple weeks ago on the trainers [he has his bike workout programed into a computrainer]. He did the following: good warmup on the bike, followed by 3 sets of this routine: 1. 20 squats. 2. 20 lunges. 3. 20 alternating legs jumps to a bench [similar to skipping, but up onto a bench]. 4. 12 squat jumps. 5. immediately onto the bike, clip in, and an all out standing sprint [53-13/14/15?] for 10 seconds, followed immediately by a seated strength/endurance interval for 2 minutes, in a big gear/high resistance [about 275 to 310watts] at 55 to 60 rpm. Then 3 minute easy spin, off the bike, and start the 2nd set with the above exercises. The 4 exercises are done rapidly, and he has a fairly high heart rate when he finishes the 4 exercises and gets on the bike.
Does this do any good? His coach thinks so and so does he. He has improved a great deal over the winter, but is new to this level of cycling. I am very interesed to see what some of your well informed posters think about this workout.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
No...

hayaku said:
My local community gym is closed until mid-april for some sort of construction. I'm a believer in weights for cycling but now am stuck without a gym. As it's almost racing season as I haven't scheduled any on the bike power training I thought I might give plyometrics a go. I have good speed when sprinting but my jump is a little slow to wind up so plyometrics or some kind of powerful jumping action should be good.

Plyometrics don't work the same muscle groups as sprinting on the bike does. You need to get on the bike and do specific work on your jump instead of trying to simulate it with something other than riding. It's March, you should have been out of the gym, oh, 2 months ago.

To improve your jump, there are several ways of doing it. First do some sprint workouts such as get in a small gear, slow way down, and sprint for say, 200m not shifting into large gears, but doing more of a spinning sprint working on good form as opposed to pure speed.

Then alternate that with hard jumps. Get into a large gear, say, the 13. Slow to almost a stop, and then stomp on it, and bring yourself to your top speed and drop it into the 12, or 11 if that's the case.

That's just a couple of examples that have worked for me in the past. Again, this is something that worked for me, and workouts I worked out with my coach. Forget the gym, it's March, ride the bike.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said...

I believe in doing weights as cross training for riding, I'm lucky enough to be able to train pretty much full time but need some variety. I'm doing 3 hard sessions/week on the bike and was doing 2 gym sessions so I'm looking to maintain quality training time without too much additional fatigue. power training on the bike is good for some but I have found that it produces more of what I've already got and takes a lot of energy.

Plyometrics done in the correct manner will work the quads, calves, hamstrings, butt and torso... do you use anything different on the bike? It's true that the pre-loading phase of plyometrics isn't available on the bike so I was thinking about running, hoping or jumping up stairs.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
hayaku said:

http://www.cyclecambridge.com/cbexercises.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts