Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

After every ride, i feel tension in my lower back when i get off the bike and stand up straight. On the bike, i feel no discomfort whatsoever, despite my lower back problem. it is only when i want to stand up, that i feel this tension and it takes around 30 seconds to "re-adjust" and become lean in the lower back. I do stretching twice a day, and I do back and ab excercises 5 times a week. I have been fitted at a bike shop, and will be going back soon for readjustments. However, before I do that, I need to get somethings straight so as to as informed as possible when discussion time comes:

Is one option to raise the stem a bit, which would recuce overstretch? although it might be theoretically right, I have a feeling that it is not what i need.

can i put my seat forward 1 - 2 cm? how would this affect bike set-up? will my peddaling be affected? will i need to change any other settings on the bike, such like raise or lower seat?

all feedback appreciated
Thanks in advance

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I answered this in the other forum, too. Don't slide your saddle on the rails to adjust your reach. Your saddle fore-aft should be tailored to your pedaling dynamics. That is, generally it is set so that you've got a knee over (or near, depending on preferences) the pedal spindle of the forward foot when your pedals are horizontal.

Raising the bars can absolutely shorten your reach, and you're doing all the other "right" things (working on core strength and flexibility). How much saddle-to-bar drop do you have?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Moving the saddle forwards will actually put more weight on you hands, because your body's center will be farther in front of the BB axle.

Others have covered bike fit solutions-- moving the bars higher or closer with a shorter stem. How much have you been riding? Some discomfort is to be expected when starting out. The fact that you back hurts only when you stop and not when riding is a good sign. You may just be using your back muscles more than you are used to, especially if you have been doing much seated climbing, and/or riding without standing on the pedals every once in a while to switch muscles and stretch out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it really doesnt "hurt" in sharp pain. It feels stiff, and inflexible. but is reconditioned after a 30-second stretch in the opposite direction. i am riding in a hilly area, i do all my climbing seated, i ride in the hoods most of the time, and i am comfortable on the bike in every respect. I bought the bike 25 days ago, have put on it around 200km (so i am new). It is possible that i will get used to it as my back gets stronger. but just want to make sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It could be that your back just needs to be stronger and flexible especially if you are new to cycling and your flexibility lessens with age. I find yoga helps my back or just doing a forward bend; start with hands over head arching you back then slowly bend forward with hands reaching to the floor,no bouncing in the stretch, and return to standing and repeat several times. Also when riding make sure your lower back is slightly arched and not rounded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
P.S. Also when riding you can stand on the pedals with one leg at the 6 oclock posistion and arch your back bacwards then swich to other leg in the 6 oclock posistion and do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts