Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between which fender to buy. First off though, I have seen some bikes with really ugly fenders, just not for me. I have a personal belief and mandate that my bikes and equipment must be aestetically pleasing and work just as well. That being said I have narrowed my search down to 2 -3 fender sets. Here is the options:

1. Honjo hammertone fenders. High quality, look great on virtually any bike needing fenders.

2. Planet bike I think, the black chromoplast ones. Here is the plan. Rough them up a bit with sandpaper, spray on some Bulldog paint adhesive agent and then spray with antique white paint, clear coat over top of the white.

The bike these fenders will go on is sort of a Moltini orange/creamcicle orange with the head tube and part of the seat tube painted antique white. Lugs are lined in gold paint. The balance of the white and orange will be nice, very sharp.

Anyone with experience with the Honjo fenders or painting the Planet bike or any chromoplast fenders? Does the paint stick?. I know I can do the paint work and get a great result that will really be unique. But the Honjos, wow big bling factor on any nice frame. I know, supposed to be a rain bike, but as I said looks and function are equally important for me.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wood at one time

Was in the mix as a consideration. The more I thought about it, can not justify $150 for a set of fenders. The Planet bike ones are $40ish, the Honjos are $53+another $12-15 for mount hardware. Just don't think they would look right on this particular bike, for $150.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fenders

Aesthetics alone, the Honjos win hand down...however, fitting them is a laborious process (check out the jitensha.com website for the details).

I vote for the SKS fenders for durability, coverage, and ease of installation. I installed them on my converted (Bianchi) fixie and they went on great, and look quite nice if I do say so myself. I've ridden with them in our recent Northeast monsoon and they did a bang up job.

However, if I ever have to do it again, I'd consider steel fenders for the sole reason that they can support a meaty mudflap, and I'd probably get Berthouds.

Have you thought about Berthoud steel fenders? Not as pricey as Honjos, and miles nicer looking than the Planet Bikes.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Berthouds

I'll second these. Mine are going on three years/15,000 miles with no problems. They've been carrying a taillight on the rear fender, and will soon have mudflaps front and rear.

They're not nearly as hard to install as people say, and the stainless is a good deal tougher than aluminum. Since the stays are alloy, the overall weight difference from plastic fenders is trivial.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've used the SKS for years and still like them in terms of price/performance. Not fancy but do the trick.

Above all, make sure you put extensions on the front and rear to get the most benefit (front flap) and keep the peace with fellow riders (rear flap). The front flat shoudl be flexible and within 1-2" of touching the ground. THis helps keep your feet less wet (note I didn't say drier).

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I had a gorgeous set of Honjos painted to match my Vanilla. The rear fender got bent in a crash and, being aluminum, that was the start of the end of that fender. I like the Sykes fender I have on my Vanilla, alot. The PlanetBike fenders are too short, particularly in back, and SKS fenders I've used invariably crack. As gorgeous as the Honjo was, I'd look at wood or steel. I got the Sykes for around $100, so maybe there's better pricing on it somewhere...

·
Registered
228 Posts
SKS or Berthoud. The only two I use in my shop. The Berthoud look great and are super, super tough. The SKS are simple to install and work great for most applications. I have Berthouds on my Randonneur and SKS on my Wayfarer.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A knock on alu fenders?

I began thinking this over again and decided to look at the SS fenders @ Wallbike. Basically the same price as the Honjos. I tried ordering Honjos this weekend, 2 weeks or more out until they have stock. I sort of get the feeling that 2 weeks could turn into 2 months real easy.

Alu fenders, is there a coat hanger effect with these? Flex/flex/flex X lots of miles and flex cycles....break off at the mount point? Really don't know how much this bike will get ridden, but I will bet I'll keep this bike till I don't ever ride any more. (sentimental and fit value) So I want durable as well as purdy as well as functional. I just really have a problem with putting something french on my bike, why I did not consider Berthoud.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just did a little blog searching...

Honjo fenders being available seems to be a common complaint, so frog fenders it will be. Jitensha site sure does give a great explanation on how to mount fenders, hope these come with understandable directions, if not I'll figure it out before I cut anything too short.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Hard not to recommend SKS

I have one set that's been on at least three bikes, including one I used offroad a lot (fire trails in winter, when the roads are icy), and they still look and feel like new. Stainless and wood and alu and hammered brass (saw a set the other day; don't know where they came from) are all nice, but these things cost like $35 and last forever and keep the crud off you....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.