Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I use the same thing. They are great. I do not run them longer than 2000 miles. I had one break @ 2500 miles then read that they are only good for about 2000. Keep them changed out and you'll be fine. I'm using the new superlink IV with my Sram.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Expensive chain tool

******* said:
I've been using this Q-link for my Campy Record Ultra10 chain for a couple of years....thought this would be of interest to those who don't want to mess with Campy's expensive chain tool, pins, etc....plus I clean my chain more often and easier, to say the least.
The successful use of Wipperman or other links in Campy chains has been discussed here many times. Also discussed many times is that you don't need the Campy chain tool. I'm using a Cyclo chain tool that I bought in 1969 to install Campy U10 chains with no difficulties or problems. The pins come with a new chain, so that doesn't seem to be much of an issue either. Finally, there is no need to remove your chain for cleaning if you properly use ProLink or home brew chain lube. Nothing wrong with removable links and removing your chain, but you sure don't need either to keep things clean and properly lubed.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I also use Prolink for lubricating the chain and it does an excellent job; however when I've been caught out in the rain, or just have some time on my hands, I use an ultrasonic cleaner to really clean the rear-cogs and chain....cleans the crud from the pins much better..(40khz for 30min; cleaner basket: 5.5"L x 5"W x 3.5"D)... does super job....I've even used my old Cyclo and the Park chain tool and they also work, but nothing is easier or quicker than the Q-link for me...plus I don't have to screw around with a possible stiff link.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why not use a chain cleaning tool like Park Tools and not worry about removing the chain. I used a Forrest Qik-Link and it was always noisy. Park has that tool retail for about 35.00 and Price point has about the same thing for 15-20.00

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never tried the cleaning tool you recommend, but with the sonic cleaner, I can clean the rear cogs & spacers while I'm stripping down the rear-pulleys and giving them a cleaning to remove their gunk. I reason (Cajun logic:crazy: ) that there's no point in cleaning the chain if the other drive components are not clean... and yep, I do remove and clean the front rings too...never had a problem...I've gotten in the habit of putting Anti-seize on the crank bolts...makes them easier to remove in the future... Granted, this takes a good amount of time, but it whiles away an afternoon when not riding for one reason or another...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.