Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
NZVET said:
Has anyone had any experience with these eliptical chainrings? How effective are they?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Safe riding!
Many a thread on these...most end up being either locked...or "you can't be fr*ggin serious?" material

search for Biopace...IMO, if they worked, everybody would be using them.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
They work like the Biopace rings, but opposite; during the phase of the pedal stroke where you are applying the most force, the effective gear is increased, rather than decreased like it would be with Biopace. This allegedly reduces the force and time necessary to pedal through the "dead spot", where little power is being produced.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Oval chain rings have been around for many, many years. Every now & then, they make a "comeback" and are a momentary fad. I've been riding since the early 60's & I've only known 1 person who owned them. He didn't like them.

Like Room1201 said, if they were any good, or gave any advantage, lots of folks would be using them.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Read the patents

NZVET said:
Has anyone had any experience with these eliptical chainrings? How effective are they?
I believe that eliptical chainrings were patented right around the turn of the century, that is 1900, not 2000. If they were THE solution, you'd think we'd all be riding them by now. If they were any kind of a solution, then at least quite a few people would be riding them.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
NZVET said:

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Safe riding!
No experience but I like the theory behind them. You can't push any harder on the down stroke (without further training) but having the smaller effective ratio through the dead spot should save energy and/or let you pass through it quicker, therefore allowing a higher cadence at the same force. force x frequency = power. How it actually works in combination with the human body is up to interpretation but there is some interesting information here.

http://biketechreview.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=432

As to why they aren't on everyone's bikes has more to do with closed mindedness and problems with shifting. Shifting is very important of course and cycling seems to be very cynical and shy to adopt "new" technology without really significant performance benefits.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
My wife's still on Biopace, won't let me swap them.

Just for the record, my wife has an old Bridgestone MB she uses as a beater and grocery-getter that came with Biopace rings, and she won't let me take them off. Her other bikes are normal, and she doesn't complain, but when I suggest changing that thing out, she balks.
Back when it was new, I bolted them on my bike for a few days and they drove me crazy. I worked hard to develop a halfway decent spin, and the oval shape screwed it up. I think it might be more obtrusive on a roadie than an MB, too, because you (or at least I) spin more consistently on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.