Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

And to boot, the streets are empty. Nobody there gives a **** about the racing.

?We’ve got to bear in mind it’s not just about spectators on the ground, but about television images and the television audience as well.

The decision to come here was made four years ago, there was a lot of discussion about it at the time and a very substantial fee was paid to the UCI, there’s no secret about it,” Cookson said. He was later asked to confirm the fee. “I think the figure was around 10 million Swiss Francs. I don’t think there’s a huge secret about that.”

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts

And to boot, the streets are empty. Nobody there gives a **** about the racing.

Hey now, in fairness, would YOU stand outside in a desert for hours on end in 50C weather? I think even locals who did care, would stay inside and watch on TV. That being said...as someone who subscribes to Eurosport...UCI has been hawking the World's in Doha actively with commercials for a year. Basically every commercial break during any UCI race on Eurosport had at least ONE World's Doha advert per break all year. They made sure people knew about it...and cycling's base in EU decided it was either too far or too hot to go to.

Of course why on Earth did UCI pick Doha in the first place? The fantastic hill climbs? The verdant twisty-turny forest roads? The hordes or UCI cycling fans?....lol more like a giant wad of cash.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....lol more like a giant wad of cash.
And there's the recent headlines about them AGAIN stopping authorities and LeMond from checking bikes for motors the the Tour.

And there's the recent revelations about their TUE program, allowing certain riders to dope and ride.

And don't even get me started on them being bribed into disc brakes, I'll never shut up.

Crookson sure is living up to his name.

·
Registered
249 Posts
with all the middle eastern culture has given us as of late why wouldn't we want to see a race hosted there?

(the above is sarcasm).

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
with all the middle eastern culture has given us as of late why wouldn't we want to see a race hosted there?

(the above is sarcasm).
Well that's not racist, prejudicial, or ignorant at all is it??? I am hoping you sense my sarcasm as well.... Look, if you understand the facts in the least, you should be able to see that the whole world is contributing to the psychotic episode we are collectively going through right now. Further, to label and generalize about a complete section of the globe made up of a bunch of different cultures, religions, races, customs, and practices is both misguided and juvenile. If it makes you happy, do you though.... I am really disappointed that I am the only one that responded to this as well. People are happy to flag, report, and remove all kinds of other crazy stuff that gets said on here, but we gave a pass on this one huh? Nice....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Whole world.....psychotic episode?

No I'm sorry bud that's not what I see at all.

And until that part of the world gets its house in order (hint: never gonna happen) I see no reason to bring economic benefit to the wealthy of the region who have shaped it into what it is. The human rights violations that pass as religion and 'culture' there are shameful.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Whole world.....psychotic episode?

No I'm sorry bud that's not what I see at all.

And until that part of the world gets its house in order (hint: never gonna happen) I see no reason to bring economic benefit to the wealthy of the region who have shaped it into what it is. The human rights violations that pass as religion and 'culture' there are shameful.
I don't want to hijack the thread at all, but suffice it to say, you don't see very well then "bud," in my opinion. There are major problems all over the globe, so I suggest you get of of RBR for a bit and take a look at some of them: Take a look at the economic conditions in Greece (should we boycott them too?), the arrests, murders, and harrassment of unarmed motorists and black citizens right here in the good ol' U.S. of A (didn't mention that in your post huh?), human rights abuses that are happening from sea to shining sea, (does North Korea ring a bell??? oh they are probably the biggest nuclear threat and security risk in the entire world), how about Russia's insanity? Do you have any problem with that and/or with races be staged there? I didn't think so. I have included some links to create a little primer to get you started on becoming a more informed global citizen.

Ultimately, you can truly believe whatever it is you want, just don't come on here and try to use a discussion about a bike race to try to preach your bias to the rest of us. If you do just a little bit of homework, you will see that the whole world has helped shape that region and all others into what they are. If you truly want to discuss the actual issues offline, I am open, but you have some reading to do first. If you want to just throw out bias and prejudice, without much evidence behind it, I don't want to read it on my favorite cycling site, so keep it to yourself or find the appropriate thread for it please.

The World in Crisis | threats & challenges

Human Rights Issues | Amnesty International USA

Global Economic Crisis

A Logical Solution for the Middle East Conflict*|*Michael D. Nicula

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
So your retort is 'look, squirrel!'

Well done. Perhaps the bias is on your part.
Actually, the retort is you have no idea what you are talking about. I just tried to provide you with a little info along the way. Other than being Muslims, what have the Qataris done to anyone in recent history or ever? What are the big bad things they are out there doing in the world that you so openly refer to in your first post? Is that specific enough for you? I bet you don't have an answer either? That's prejudice, that''s bias....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts