Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this combo? I need a new front der for a bike and can get a nearly new QS front der to use with my 2004 or so non-QS Record Ergo shifters. Will this work OK? How about trimming it?

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Get the non-QS derailleur if you can

saab2000 said:
Has anyone tried this combo? I need a new front der for a bike and can get a nearly new QS front der to use with my 2004 or so non-QS Record Ergo shifters. Will this work OK? How about trimming it?
Probably it will work the same whether you have QS Ergo or not. The QS front derailleur has a longer arm which requires more cable pull to move the cage the same amount compared to non-QS. However, I am not sure if a QS Ergo shifter actually pulls more cable per click than a non-QS shifter. ***EDIT: I just did a search on Weight Weenies and the conclusion is that the QS Ergo does not pull more cable per click (5 clicks total on both levers), but engages movement sooner on the first click.*** If the QS shifter does not pull more cable then basically the effect of a QS shifting system is just a slight reduction in lever effort, but requiring more clicks for the same amount of movement. It is not like front derailleur movement required a huge effort. Campy has kind of lost the plot on front derailleurs of late, there was QS in 2007 with derailleurs for both regular and compact, then a blended QS derailleur in 2008. I am actually using 2006 and earlier derailleurs with both QS and non-QS Ergo shifters.

In a nutshell, you can use the QS derailleur with your non-QS levers, you just might need the 5th click for the full range of movement required.

If you want non-QS, have a look at www.totalcycling.com or www.westernbikeworks.com they both have non-QS front derailleurs of various flavors for sale. The Chorus derailleur is the same as Record minus the outer cage plate.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
short answer...

saab2000 said:

It will take 4 clicks to cover the full range instead of the usual 3. The finger lever can execute 5 clicks with a single sweep of the lever and there are 12 available. You won't have a problem.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, it works great initially. Three clicks shifts it to the large ring and covers the whole range on the back. Nice.

And yes, it really is quick shifting.

I have it on my Look and will take it for a real ride today or tomorrow and test it out! Thanks for the tips!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.