Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden both the RXS and Keo? I just got some Keos, and like them well enough, but they're really "firm" feeling. The float, while there, feels really constricted. Also, they feel tall relative to the pedal spindle. Are the Times significantly different in either of these areas? Time advertizes them as really low profile, and with all sorts of float in every direction, but does anyone know how all of these specifics compares to the Keos?

And my other question...can the Keo cleats be ridden without the little rubber bumper in them? It feels like this might be what's restricting the float, but I don't want to take it out if it prevents up/down play when the pedal is engaged. Thanks - S.

G

·
Well I was a long time Time user ( though a current spd-sl user) and I have tried the keos, both the regular/original ones and the HM type, with the Ironman decals on them.

I got the keos as soon as they came out in the UK, before they were available in the US. I was never a Look fan, with the tall stack height and the crappy cleats and the squeak they made. However, I wanted to like the Keos since they were just so damn sexy, if a bike part ever could be called thus. The float was very slick onthe red 9deg cleat, and snappy. It wasn't gradual smooth float, but my shoe would snap and pivot very quickly as the friction diminished. It was a little disconcerting.

I recently bought the Keo HMs and was very disappointed. Just clicking into them was enough to shred the graphics on the top of the pedal body. The graphics were a decal!!!! On expensive pedals like that!!! One clip in and they were trashed. Maybe it's more troublesome to screen on the graphics as they do with the reg Keos, but sheesh!!

The Time RXS is a good pedal. Much lower stack height, adjustable float sensation and adjustable Q position by swapping the cleats from one shoe to another - one setup puts your feet closer to the cranks, the other further out.

The float is different and much better onthe Times. Times float both at the toe and heel of the pedal, such that the foot pivots about the axle/center of the pedal. Looks float only at the tip, such that the toes stay pretty anchored and the heel pivots about that point if you can picture it.

The Time cleat has walking pontoons. For some reason Look hasn't put any on the keo cleat. I can't fathom why. Walking on them degrades the very surface that interacts with the pedal. For that reason the keo cleats don't last all that long. They also had problems early on with the cleats snapping. I think they might have rectified this.

If I were you I would go with the Time Rxs pedals.

I am on the shimanos but will put the Rxs pedals back on. The spd-sl pedals have unadvertised and unacknowledged lateral movement/float of up to 8mm. Nasty. However, in everyother regard they are the greatest pedal in my estimation. Easy to get in and out of and the cleats last forever.

But I will be back on the Times soon - only 2.5mm lateral float so they are the best compromise of all that I want.

Hope this helps. Ask any other questions you want.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bdaghisallo said:
Hope this helps. Ask any other questions you want.
Thanks. That does help, and is pretty much exactly the answer I was looking for! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Keos feel "clunky" or so. You're right about the float - it doesn't give much at all, and then your foot is all of a sudden elsewhere. I'm also happy to hear that the Times feel like they float around a little more, rather than the around-the-toe type float the Looks offer.

My only other question is this: durability? Pretty much all the reviews of the Times feature them snapping on the pedal body or cleat, or the axle coming unthreaded from the pedal body, yadayadayada. I know only people with negative experiences actually give reviews, but... It sounds like you've experienced weak pedals with the Keo HM; how do you think the Times compare? I'm talking more about the durability of the interface than the bearings; these days the bearings usually outlast then pedal itself, anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Speedplay?

I know it's not what you asked, but if you're looking for less "constricted" float and low stack height, you might want to take a look at Speedplays as well. I recently switched from SPD-SLs to Speedplay Zeros, and I'm very happy with them (although I have the adjustable float dialed down to zero).

Cheers,
Ari

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
SDizzle said:
Thanks. That does help, and is pretty much exactly the answer I was looking for! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Keos feel "clunky" or so. You're right about the float - it doesn't give much at all, and then your foot is all of a sudden elsewhere. I'm also happy to hear that the Times feel like they float around a little more, rather than the around-the-toe type float the Looks offer.

My only other question is this: durability? Pretty much all the reviews of the Times feature them snapping on the pedal body or cleat, or the axle coming unthreaded from the pedal body, yadayadayada. I know only people with negative experiences actually give reviews, but... It sounds like you've experienced weak pedals with the Keo HM; how do you think the Times compare? I'm talking more about the durability of the interface than the bearings; these days the bearings usually outlast then pedal itself, anyway.
I have Time RXS Carbon pedals on both of my road bikes. I have never owned the Look Keo's, so I can't compare, but I can tell you that the Time RXS pedals have a very nice feel to the float. Like everybody else has stated, the Time's rotate the float around the center of the pedal, which is ergonomically correct. The Time's also allow for +/- 3mm of Q-factor float, so you can slide your foot side-to-side just a small amount.

The float is perfect in terms of resistance -- not too "floaty", and not too restricted.

The Time cleats are also wonderful to walk on. All of my friends with Look pedals complain about walking on their cleats w/o the covers. Same w/Speedplay. The Time pedals have small pontoons built into them and are pretty grippy, so you don't need to worry about falling on your a$$ when walking into a 7-11.

The Time's have been on both road bikes for about 6 months now and they have held up perfectly. Neither pair of pedals has any significant wear on them and the bearings still operate as smoothly as ever. Given the success my other friends have had with their Time's, I think durability is not going to be an issue.

My only complaint would be the cost of the replacement cleats -- $35 (ouch). Look's and Speedplays' are the same price, so maybe they are all getting this expensive? Regardless, my cleats are still in great shape after 6 months, so maybe I will get 12-18 months of use from them before needing replacement. But after years of $8 SPD replacement cleats for my MTB, $35 is a little hard to swallow.

In short, I highly recommend the Time's. If you're not a weight weenie, get the RXS or RXS Carbon. The Ti version is <200g, but costs significantly more.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experiences of Keo

SDizzle said:

I've read your question and the related comments with interest. I know a manager of a European professional team and he says they broke lots of Time carbon when they used them. Apparently the front section can snap off. I've just posted a review of Keo and am not that impressed. The pedal rocks across the moulding for the release tension and they seem to be wearing very quickly. Every part shows significant wear including the plastic spring loaded engagement clip. A also find they have developed lots of play after just 300 miles. The guy who runs the team says that Dura Ace and Campag profit are two good brands of pedal. I'm going to try the Campags as I have a Campag bike. By the way, have you noticed that Gibo and Cunego use the magnesium Times, not the carbons?

G

·
I believe you are only half right there. I am pretty sure Cunego was on the new carbon Times last season. Gibo was still on the Impacts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bdaghisallo said:
I believe you are only half right there. I am pretty sure Cunego was on the new carbon Times last season. Gibo was still on the Impacts.
I stand corrected if that is the case. I think equipment choices by the pros are interesting because you find out what really works. I'm starting to wonder if carbon and pedals don't really mix that well!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dgangi said:
My only complaint would be the cost of the replacement cleats -- $35 (ouch). Look's and Speedplays' are the same price, so maybe they are all getting this expensive?
I hear you on the cleat cost. At my LBS (Excel), Speedplays are more like $40. Looks are still only $16, even for the Keos...which is nice, but not enough to keep me on the pedals. I can justify the $30 (eBay) for Time cleats if I only have to replace them once a year or so!

Still, excellent review, and very helpful. Luckily, I can get everything for cost, so I'm going to go with the Carbons, if just for the color. (Heather gray isn't really my style.) The Ti-axled version is tempting, but even at cost, it's still another 70% more expensive, and I can't justify that, especially considering this will be my fourth set of pedals in maybe eight months. Thanks for all the advice.

Anyone want to buy some week-old Keos? :p

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
I think Ullrich and Boonen still uses the Impacts, at least last year they did..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stihl said:
I think Ullrich and Boonen still uses the Impacts, at least last year they did..
I'd guess Ullrich is on DA pedals. That said, I really have no idea.

Bought the RXS Carbons for $130 on eBay, free shipping. Ultimately it's easier than organizing and waiting for QBP to get an order out the door! Besides, they're shipping in-state via Fed-Ex, so I should have them in a day or two! I'll post a Keo-RXS comparison here when I get them, and hopefully it will be very positive. Thanks again - S.

G

·
Yup Ullrich is on the impacts, and so is Kloeden who only starting using in them in 2005, having used the original equipes until then( including during his 2nd in the TdF in 2004).

Boonen is still on the impacts, or was until the end of 2005.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If anyone's interested....

I've got two pairs of 1 year old RXS (non carbon) pedals that need a good home.
Used for approx. 500 miles, they're in great shape. One set has brand new cleats as well.
My size 48 feet seem to need a larger platform than these pedals provide.
Thanks,
Pumpkin

·
Registered
204 Posts
pumpkin said:
I've got two pairs of 1 year old RXS (non carbon) pedals that need a good home.
Used for approx. 500 miles, they're in great shape. One set has brand new cleats as well.
My size 48 feet seem to need a larger platform than these pedals provide.
Thanks,
Pumpkin
Just curious, what makes you think that you need a larger platform? I thought that Times had a pretty large platform, comparable with Shimano and Look -- certainly larger than the Speedplays I have (comfortably!) under my big feet. If heard that lots of problems like "hot spots" are more attributable to shoes or cleat positioning than the cleats themselves. Steve Hogg at cyclingnews has written a lot about this -- specifically, about the foot problems that people have when their cleats are too far forward. What kind of shoes do you wear, and where do you have your cleats positioned.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Ari,
After going back- and- forth between the RXS and my older Looks, the difference to me is noticeable.
T he RXS is a much smaller, narrower pedal---especially obvious when the two are placed side to side.
The new Look "Keo" pedals, are also wider than the Times as well.
Initially, I went with the Times because of the super-low stack height, and the excellent float characteristics. (Best around, IMO)
My size feet just like/ need the larger "wider" platform of a more substantial pedal.
Cleat placement has always been ball of foot over pedal axle and maximum Q factor to keep feet from contacting crankarms.

·
Registered
204 Posts
pumpkin said:
Hi Ari,
After going back- and- forth between the RXS and my older Looks, the difference to me is noticeable.
T he RXS is a much smaller, narrower pedal---especially obvious when the two are placed side to side.
The new Look "Keo" pedals, are also wider than the Times as well.
Initially, I went with the Times because of the super-low stack height, and the excellent float characteristics. (Best around, IMO)
My size feet just like/ need the larger "wider" platform of a more substantial pedal.
Cleat placement has always been ball of foot over pedal axle and maximum Q factor to keep feet from contacting crankarms.
Interesting ... I didn't know the Times were that much narrower. Obviously, if you're comfortable with the Looks, I wouldn't change a thing, but a couple things do come to mind. Steve Hogg at cyclingnews tends to recommend that the pedal axle be a centimeter or more behind the ball of the foot for guys of our foot size, which in most cases means shoving the cleats almost all the way back. (Check out http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters07-26#Cleat and http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters10-11#Ball.) It's only anecdotal, but lots of people have written in since those letters saying, "Hey, I moved my cleats back and all my foot pain is gone!"

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ari, thanks for sending the great links. I'm gonna keep them on file for future reference.
I'll try some rearward cleat adjustment and report back.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts