Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got what I suspect is quadriceps tendonitis (to be confirmed next week). I'm on my third full week off the bike. While I'm no longer in agony after having to walk around during the day, the tendon at the top of the knee is still tender.

Anyone have any suggestions as to whether to get back on the bike and spin a little (or not)? Since strengthening the quad sounds like part of physio, it seems like getting back on would be good provided I take it easy. But I'm not so sure. I do know I'm going nuts not doing anything...

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
Are you actively stretching or just hoping it will go away? If it is tendonitis, laying off the bike for a little bit may help, but the main thing you need to do is stretch.

I had this exact thing (pain where my quadriceps tendon attached to my patella) and my wife (who is a physical therapist) recently implemented for me a stretching routine for all my major leg muscle groups that I try to do every night. I have had very positive results so far, with a significant reduction in pain, tightness, and other sorts of muscular discomfort on the bike. I never took any time off the bike or went any easier, I just stretched a lot (probably 20-25 minutes a day).

As for strengthening, that's probably not the issue, as your quad muscle is one of the strongest muscles in your body. The issue is that your quad muscle is very tight and it's pulling on the tendon where it attaches to the bone. This tightness is mainly alleviated by stretching.

Definitely talk to your physical therapist or doctor, but I think stretching is the best thing you can do here.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Seat height?

heffergm said:
I've got what I suspect is quadriceps tendonitis (to be confirmed next week). I'm on my third full week off the bike. While I'm no longer in agony after having to walk around during the day, the tendon at the top of the knee is still tender.

Anyone have any suggestions as to whether to get back on the bike and spin a little (or not)? Since strengthening the quad sounds like part of physio, it seems like getting back on would be good provided I take it easy. But I'm not so sure. I do know I'm going nuts not doing anything...
Could your seat be too low? Normally pain in the front of the knee is from a too-low saddle. Alternatively, if you were pushing too big a gear and ramping up your time on the bike too fast that could be the source of the problem.

Regarding getting back on the bike, if you have no pain from riding and you spin high rpm at reasonable power levels, then riding might help. Pain from riding says stay off the bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't push gears... I weight 135lbs. I tend to spin between 80 and 100 rpm depending. However, I did completely overdo things in terms of mileage increase and intensity with a lot of hill work.

I'm going to get fit next week just to make sure things are kosher in that department.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Three weeks may seem like a long time but its not. A repetitive stress injury could take many months to fully heal...and if you re-injure it, it may never heal but become a chronic condition.

Also, walking on the injury can reinjure it. Its probably best to provide support and heat using an ace bandage, or knee wrap.

There's an old saying...a watched pot never boils. If you are waiting for your injury to heal, it never will. The better approach to this problem would be to try and forget cycling for a while. Think about next year and write this one off. That may sound harsh, but it may be what is required for a full recovery. Plus it will free your mind from wanting to get back on the bike asap...which is not a good idea.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
M-theory said:
Three weeks may seem like a long time but its not. A repetitive stress injury could take many months to fully heal...and if you re-injure it, it may never heal but become a chronic condition.

Also, walking on the injury can reinjure it. Its probably best to provide support and heat using an ace bandage, or knee wrap.

There's an old saying...a watched pot never boils. If you are waiting for your injury to heal, it never will. The better approach to this problem would be to try and forget cycling for a while. Think about next year and write this one off. That may sound harsh, but it may be what is required for a full recovery. Plus it will free your mind from wanting to get back on the bike asap...which is not a good idea.
Good advice.

I've had bouts with patellar tendinitis and the main aspect was sufficient rest then gradually implementing the therapy as prescribed. Make sure you ask your doc about a course of therapy to follow. The bike will be there so take it easy and let it heal in which they advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts