Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been noticing that the muscle most sore after a long ride is not the quadricep but the muscle over the knee towards the inside. From my searches on Wiki this muscle is called the Vastus Medialis and is suppose to function more as a support role to the larger Vastus Lateralis.

Anyone have thoughts or advice as to whether this is normal or if my bike needs to be adjusted to utilize the correct quad muscle.

Thanks

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
I think that was the muscle that cycling will develop quickly, but once it is up to snuff, it rarely gets too sore.

Have you recently started riding, or increased distance or training intensity? When I started training hard for racing, I felt soreness there too, but not too much any more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've recently been upping my mileage and intensity, if I ride leisurely I'm fine but, now that I'm trying to improve my climbing, I'll start cramping at mile 40 at that muscle location and it'll take at least 3 days before it's 100% again. My friend has recommended I go get a pro fit, which I may have to bite the bullet and do.

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
Andrea138 said:
The vastus medialis muscle is one of the four muscles of the quadriceps group.

yep. and as I was getting more and more into it, it seemd the same for me. it was the last muscle to lose that twitchy, edge of cramping feel throughout the day post ride. eventually it seems to catch up fitness/strength wise and get equally tired/worked with the rest of the quads.

·
Trying to return....
418 Posts
If you're getting cramping, are you sure your electrolyte intake is sufficient.

Second to that, I agree with the pro fit idea, you may be putting undue stress on the muscle due to saddle height/position.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Had that pain & was from my feet pointing to far outward on 5 degree cleats. Switched to speedplay & no problems. IF you are using look, shimano pedals, make sure your feet are not pointed out excessively.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
capt_phun said:
Had that pain & was from my feet pointing to far outward on 5 degree cleats. Switched to speedplay & no problems. IF you are using look, shimano pedals, make sure your feet are not pointed out excessively.
Thanks for the advice, I'm running speedplays already so there's float to compensate for that. I tried lowering my seat and went for a light 25 miles and felt like the larger quad muscle on the outter side of the knee was getting more work, but after my knees were tender, so now I have knee pain. Damn this fitting stuff, I'm planning to set an appt with Montrose bike shop to get a BG fit hopefully I'll be spinning sweet melodies after like the BeeGees. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts