Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have large quads and they rub on the nose of the saddle when I am peddling. Does anybody know of a saddle that has a very narrow nose? Right now I am using a Selle Italia SLR. It doesn't really hurt my quads but the leather on the nose of the saddle gets worn out in 1500 miles or so and then I need to purchase a new saddle

Dan

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I used to go through a saddle a season for the same reason. I switched to Selle San Marco Regal saddles a few years ago and am still riding the first one I bought. I have put about 14K on it and it is just starting to show some signs of wear. Nice retro look as well with the rivets. They weigh around 300 grams which is respectable for such a comfortable saddle.

· Registered
609 Posts
I’ve got the same challenge but also need a wide saddle to accommodate my sit bones. I haven’t bought one yet, but I was surprised to learn that Brooks saddles are narrow through the nose-about 36mm. How wide is the nose of the SLR?

Des

· Registered
2,643 Posts
I point mine a little to the right,

cvanwink said:
I have a Brooks swift - and have the nose pointed slightly to the left.
but the idea is worth your looking into, especially if one side rubs worse than the other. My legs aint that big, but Johnson and the boys are much happier left of center.

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
danbrown said:
I have large quads and they rub on the nose of the saddle when I am peddling. Does anybody know of a saddle that has a very narrow nose? Right now I am using a Selle Italia SLR. It doesn't really hurt my quads but the leather on the nose of the saddle gets worn out in 1500 miles or so and then I need to purchase a new saddle

Dan
Well, I don't have large quads by any standards, but I do pedal knees in and I rub the saddle along the nose, a little more on the left side than the right.

I tried an SLR and found the same as you, the sides in the front portion would wear quickly. Part of this is because the covering is very thin and part of it is because the saddle has no real curvature downwards along the sides of the nose, the shell just ends abruptly creating an edge for the legs to rub against.

You could try the Arione, but it is surprisingly wide in the nose. I did not like it. The good old Selle Italia Flite is a good choice, it has some curvature on the sides of the saddle nose and much thicker leather than the SLR. I have used Flites for more than 20,000 km without actually wearing the leather significantly. They have wear spots but certainly nothing through the padding. Usually what kills a Flite is either a crash or the shell finally starts to sag.

I have not tried it, but the Selle San Marco Rever looks to have a very slim nose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.