Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always wondered about this usa vs.asian made cycling products.Like this big debate (if you can call it that) about the carbon wheels from asia (mainly Taiwan) vs. usa made wheelsets being not made as well as the usa product and also the imported stuff is at a price point that most of us can afford vs. those same wheelsets being made here seem to cost quite alot more,and this theory would also apply to framsets and other carbon goodies....Now! the real question is: are the imported products as good as made in the usa or are they just marketed and priced better?

·
Registered
21,732 Posts
Have always wondered about this usa vs.asian made cycling products.Like this big debate (if you can call it that) about the carbon wheels from asia (mainly Taiwan) vs. usa made wheelsets being not made as well as the usa product and also the imported stuff is at a price point that most of us can afford vs. those same wheelsets being made here seem to cost quite alot more,and this theory would also apply to framsets and other carbon goodies....Now! the real question is: are the imported products as good as made in the usa or are they just marketed and priced better?
Which "Made in the USA" CF wheels are you talking about?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you may have answered my question already,they are all made in China/Taiwan...right?...i just thought that there seemed to be such a price difference on the carbon wheels that some must be made with either more R&D put into them or that some might be made here with our higher labor cost's and that would be a reason for cost differences...that's all!
Maybe in 10yrs. carbon anything will be the norm...mmmmm!
Well give me Titanium anyday and we'll see who's on the side of the road glueing their frame back together with Super "carbon" glue.....just maybe!
It's all good though!.........Ride On!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,558 Posts
The "good" stuff is made in Taiwan. Stuff made in mainland China ranges from very good to meh.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you step out of bicycles and look at products manufactured around the world you notice a trend and that is US made is considered the best. Now if you dig deeper into that and look at what is really made in the US you may be surprised. Many times parts may be made off shore and assembled in the US or painted for its final assembly making it US made.

You really need to look at the history of the part you want and its failures and in frames its hard because they change a lot and you don't get the 15 years ride experience. As for glueing your frame back together I don't know, other than the very first carbon lugged glued together bikes they don't break to often not including crashes and even then not so much.
If you ever get an opportunity to cut a piece of carbon do so, its pretty freaking hard!! I cut a half inch off my forks steer tube and it was like steel just thicker!

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you step out of bicycles and look at products manufactured around the world you notice a trend and that is US made is considered the best.
As a non-American and at the risk of derailing this thread I beg to differ. "Made in the USA" may have a lot of cache in America but I would argue that when it comes to engineering and precision manufacturing, products made in Germany and Japan are viewed as being superior by the majority of the citizens in the world.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
As a non-American and at the risk of derailing this thread I beg to differ. "Made in the USA" may have a lot of cache in America but I would argue that when it comes to engineering and precision manufacturing, products made in Germany and Japan are viewed as being superior by the majority of the citizens in the world.
I know this is off topic, but my wife & my son-in-law both own VWs. They've each had them for 5+ years. All I can say is, "German engineering my A$$!"

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Depends very much on the product. High end audio equipment made in the good old USA is pretty much second to none.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
This is a complicated question to answer. First of all, it's hard to define "quality". Is it crash-worthiness? Beauty? Finishing? "Features"? Weight? Aerodynamics?

Second, methods for making bicycle frames vary, some methods lend themselves to more industrialization than others. Methods for making wheels also vary.

Third, the US is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE country, and Asia is HUMOOOOOOOOOOOOONGOUS continent. As such, there is an orders-of-magnitude spread in quality, even within each.

Rather than asking such a broad, not-well-defined question, why not ask about specific questions to compare specific products? I feel as if you are asking a 19th century question in a 21st century world. It's not as simple as "horse saddles made in Western Massachusetts are higher-quality than horse saddles made in Southern Virginia."

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you step out of bicycles and look at products manufactured around the world you notice a trend and that is US made is considered the best. Now if you dig deeper into that and look at what is really made in the US you may be surprised. Many times parts may be made off shore and assembled in the US or painted for its final assembly making it US made.

You really need to look at the history of the part you want and its failures and in frames its hard because they change a lot and you don't get the 15 years ride experience. As for glueing your frame back together I don't know, other than the very first carbon lugged glued together bikes they don't break to often not including crashes and even then not so much.
If you ever get an opportunity to cut a piece of carbon do so, its pretty freaking hard!! I cut a half inch off my forks steer tube and it was like steel just thicker!
You need to get out more. The only place made in the US is considered "best" is inside the US. But if it makes you feel better to believe that nonsense, go ahead.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As others have said, we live in a globalized world and "made in blah" has nothing to do with the actual quality of the product anymore. The only thing that matters is how much money the company put into developing and marketing the product, and how much profit said concern wants to make off that product.

We have iPhones being made in China, Hard Drives being made in Thailand while Intel has a huge processor fabrication plant in Malaysia. These are some of the most sophisticated bits of technology currently being produced by man, what is a mere bike frame or it's components.

The big and only reason to prefer something made in your country or city or state is to support the local economy, the jobs involved in producing, marketing and distributing it. Even then all of that could be outsourced while meeting the bare minimum criteria to put the "Made in USA" stamp on there.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Ah, Mikey, if you dip more than your big toe into US made audio, you'll find some of the finest products made anywhere. Google names like Audio Research, SOTA, VPI, Magnapan, Nola, Zesto, Pass Labs and Quicksilver. Canadian made audio equipment is just as good.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
Such as...? Macintosh maybe? sure if you want gear that every Doctor has and you like industrial design from the 1950's.
There are alot of other companies besides Macintosh. Hate to break it to you but I don't base what I buy on what some GD doctor owns. I base it on the sound quality, specs/reviews, reputation of the company. If some friggen doctor owns the the same equipment I do, then so be it.

The last Macintosh I saw a couple years ago looked good for some 50's industrial design, and yet it's better than 99% coming out of Japan and alot of stuff coming out of Europe.

So what do you ride that everybody else rides? Trek? Cannondale? Specialized? Scott? Cervelo?

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
It's a complicated question. Doing business in the US means high labor costs, compared to China, Taiwan, Mexico, etc.

But... many European companies, will have manufacturing plants in China, Tawian, Mexico, etc, for the same exact reason. Sometimes, they'll go to the US because it is cheaper than Europe, depending on the market.

Back to the original topic... carbon wheels... Taiwan's carbon fiber manufacturing technology is much more advanced than the US, in part due to companies investing in Taiwan to develop their manufacturing maturity.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think the main reason for the shrinking number of 'Made in the USA' bike parts is labor costs. Same with most of Europe. There are still a few (ie: Trek still makes their highest-end carbon frames and wheelsets in the USA) but it's certainly not common.

I think you can find extraordinarily well made things from the USA and from many other parts of the world--and you can certainly find the opposite. I think it has more to do with the company, their engineering, manufacturing processes, and their quality control.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
What bothers me about mainland Chinese goods is the lack of quality control that exists in that country. They are every bit as able to make quality stuff as any other country in the world. But I so often see capatilism gone wrong in that place -- poison baby formula, lead painted toys, knock off fake products, etc. I was looking at 3T handlebars yesterday. They're probably made in China. The one I looked at retailed for $300, was on Chain Love for $150, and could be bought from some Chinese vendor for less than $100. Brand new, but no packaging. It looked the same as the higher priced ones. The website had all kinds of positive comments from satisfied customers -- although they were all 1-2 words like "great", Love it", etc. It might be made in the same factory. It might even be a real 3T bar for all I know. But am I going to risk putting one on my bike? Hell no. If it breaks on me, is there any recourse? No. Do Chinese manufacturers have any incentive to make quality stuff? In most cases, I'd say no.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
the Chinese do have incentive to make quality stuff, but that is at the discretion of the company and market

see the Chinese build threads... many RBR members buy Chinese CF frames and part direct and happy results.

when a company decides they need to milk profit margins and forgo quality it doesn't matter where it is made... it's crap nonetheless

·
Registered
354 Posts
What bothers me about mainland Chinese goods is the lack of quality control that exists in that country.
Quality control is at the discretion of the company that contracts the Chinese factory to build whatever product they need built. I don't see how it has to be the responsibility of the entire country to ensure a certain factory is making a quality product.

Give a Chinese factory enough money to ensure the level of quality you want and they will give you just that. You ask them to make a cheap crap product to go onto Walmart shelves, they will do that too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.