Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little input here and any help is greatly appreciated...

I'm in the market for commuter / campus bike w/ a little bit of style. I'm debating whether to invest in a new single speed like a Langster, a classic Peugeot or Raleigh, or pick up one of the many 1990s roadies floating around eBay.

Some bikes that have interested me are Trek 2300s and Specialized Epics. Can anbody who once owned one of these bikes attest to their quality/value?

I'm sure working with carbon back then was pretty inefficient compared to modern standards but I'm more worried about durability than weight. I love the look of those old nude carbons and if I find the right one in good shape, it would be hard not to pick it up. *RF

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wouldn't use one of those for a campus bike. If you're going for style find something in luged steel with an interesting paint job and sexy lugs (ornate). Also, single-speed is preferrable, maintenance can be a pain otherwise.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
had an Epic

I had an Epic back in the day. I thought it was a decent bike. The Epic used carbon tubes bonded to Al lugs. Some owners had problems with galvonic corrosion at the lugs. There were some failures. I got >15,000 miles out on mine and sold it. I did see some paint flaking at the lugs but never had any problems. I never had a Trek 2300 but I understand the later 2300's had a fiberglass insert to avoid the lug problems

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ride my old carbon specialized epic at least once a week. I turned mine into a TT bike. Sure, it's a bit noodley, but I'm a big guy, too. It's very comfortable for me. I love the look of the tubes. No funny shapes like modern bikes have.

I had it in road form over the winter, when my regular beater bike was disassembled. It felt great to me. Perhaps I notice the flex a bit more than other bikes because I primarily ride the specialized on the trainer, which will show flex in any frame. If you can find one for a good price, I'd say go for it.

For reference, mine came with Shimano 600 components. They later renamed the line Ultegra. First model of STI, too. The Lemond drop in bars got me some looks a few years ago when I raced in in the crits.

TB

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a trek 2300 1993 model. Bought the frame at the swap meet 3 years ago, set it up with 9 speed chorus and its been my rain bike for over 10k miles. Works fine and a lot nicer then the old beaters I used to ride in the rain. Price was $30, I long for the good old days before Ebay came into force...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not a particularly big guy at 6 ft / 160lbs, but I rode an Epic for almost 10 years. I thought it was a great bike. Rode nice and smooth. I did not find it flexy at all. Never had a single problem with it; it looked brand new when I sold it last year. The stock aluminum fork WAS a noodle, but otherwise I loved the bike.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My friend has owned his 2300 since the mid 90's and he has ridden the Death Ride 6 times on it and done a fair amount of miles over the last 10 or so years. He just recently purchased a Lemond and now saves the 2300 for a back up but he just can't get rid of it too many fond memories.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.