Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the negative comments on poor quality bearings, and freakishly loud free-hubs (big fan of the 'silent' shimano free hub) - can someone recommend a brand of hubs that comes with a quality bearings, and a quiet free-hub?

I want to try something other than Shimano for once. I'm willing to pay a bit more if necessary.

I am a 160lb rider, planning on pairing them with Sapim cx-rays and 30mm niobium rims.

Thanks~

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
morgan1819 said:
With all of the negative comments on poor quality bearings, and freakishly loud free-hubs (big fan of the 'silent' shimano free hub) - can someone recommend a brand of hubs that comes with a quality bearings, and a quiet free-hub?

I want to try something other than Shimano for once. I'm willing to pay a bit more if necessary.

I am a 160lb rider, planning on pairing them with Sapim cx-rays and 30mm niobium rims.

Thanks~
noisy freehubs don't equate to poor quality. but generally, White Industries are pretty noisy. I believe DT Swiss is supposed to be quieter than White, but still louder than ShimaNO. Mike's Speedcific hubs are also louder than ShimaNO, but they're very easy to pull apart and grease the pawls. Crampy is pretty loud, probably as loud or louder than White. and of course, you don't want CK, those sound like a swarm of angry bees, or perhaps a laser beam. so, looks like you want DT Swiss plus grease, or Speedcific plus grease.

I did have one problem with my Speedcific rear hub. Mike sent me a new axle, freehub and bearings, no charge - he takes care of his customers. the hub was easy to pull apart. I discovered that only one of the bearings was damaged. it may be because I had tightened the endcaps too much before first use, or they came that way from the factory. the hub is excellent value for money. the bearings are standard sizes, easy to find and easy to replace. it does have more drag than a loose ball hub like ShimaNO or Crampy, though, and at until the bearings break in it has more drag than other sealed-bearing hubs I've used. overall I'm quite satisfied with the hub, especially for what I paid, and I'm not trying to knock the design, just to offer a full picture of what you're getting. Mike wants $99 for the rear and $49 for the front. that's cheaper than Campy Centaur or Shimano 105 and quite a bit lighter. the weight is comparable to White Industries, and you can get the LTA hubs for $99 front and $230 rear from Speedgoat - they would offer free shipping with those, though. if you are building through Mike, he would offer a good deal on DT or White hubs, a lot better than you can get at an online store.

·
Registered
51 Posts
weiwentg said:
noisy freehubs don't equate to poor quality. but generally, White Industries are pretty noisy. I believe DT Swiss is supposed to be quieter than White, but still louder than ShimaNO. Mike's Speedcific hubs are also louder than ShimaNO, but they're very easy to pull apart and grease the pawls. Crampy is pretty loud, probably as loud or louder than White. and of course, you don't want CK, those sound like a swarm of angry bees, or perhaps a laser beam. so, looks like you want DT Swiss plus grease, or Speedcific plus grease.

I did have one problem with my Speedcific rear hub. Mike sent me a new axle, freehub and bearings, no charge - he takes care of his customers. the hub was easy to pull apart. I discovered that only one of the bearings was damaged. it may be because I had tightened the endcaps too much before first use, or they came that way from the factory. the hub is excellent value for money. the bearings are standard sizes, easy to find and easy to replace. it does have more drag than a loose ball hub like ShimaNO or Crampy, though, and at until the bearings break in it has more drag than other sealed-bearing hubs I've used. overall I'm quite satisfied with the hub, especially for what I paid, and I'm not trying to knock the design, just to offer a full picture of what you're getting. Mike wants $99 for the rear and $49 for the front. that's cheaper than Campy Centaur or Shimano 105 and quite a bit lighter. the weight is comparable to White Industries, and you can get the LTA hubs for $99 front and $230 rear from Speedgoat - they would offer free shipping with those, though. if you are building through Mike, he would offer a good deal on DT or White hubs, a lot better than you can get at an online store.
proluly onwer wheelset laced to speedcific hubs and bulit are tanks and easy to repair are 3 mos of the use no issues

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
That noise you hear from the rear hub is just a reminder that you need to start pedaling again.

·
Registered
616 Posts
wasfast said:
you can apply grease to the internal pawls in any free hub to quiet it down.
To a point...

To much grease and the pawls won't engage and you WILL go over the handle bars.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
weiwentg said:
Crampy is pretty loud
That's funny. I can barely hear my Record hub in the garage, let alone on the road. Must be all the service is does NOT require and how GOOD I am at giving it. In fact, I would say it is quiter than anything on the road.*

*TP Stealth clutch-type hubs never hit the road, so don't say it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts