Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear quality shorts would help the saddle soreness. Looking at Nashbar (20% off right now). or some other site I see all these names that mean little to me. What are some good brands I can't tell what's the good stuff?

Also if I wear a 38 Waste in Jeans does that translate to xxl or xxxl. I have seen different size charts but that may be brand specific. Thanks

·
Registered
23,043 Posts
Depending on the type of soreness, they can greatly help. There are many good brands, however what fits one person well doesn't necessarily fit another well at all. Also a size in one brand may fit good, but the same size in another brand may not fit.

I strongly suggest not buying your first pair of shorts online. Go to a store and try them on if at all possible.

·
Registered
484 Posts
On another note, I would get bibs, not shorts. I'm guessing with a 38 inch waste, you might have a little bit of a belly. The ties around the waste might irritate your belly during rides. Just an idea. Whatever fits into your budget though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
And even within brands, there are different fits based on the particular line. In PI I believe the Attack series has a slightly more relaxed fit than the Elite and P.R.O. lines.

Would recommend getting a pair at the LBS first, hopefully they have a couple of brands and styles you can try. Bibs and shorts are one place where even as cheap as I am, I suggest spending a bit more than you "want" to. But what works for me (Louis Garneau Equipe bibs are my favorite so far) may not work for your body dimensions and seat.

Once you have a couple of good pairs of bike shorts/bibs, you'll wonder why you ever bothered wear anything different when riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.