Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Lookin for some help/recommendations on some new rubber." clinchers "

Bike is CAAD 10 5, wheels are Ksyrium Elite S, all 2013 circa.

I am a heavy rider at 106kg, roads are predominately smooth and flat and over all are in pretty good condition. My main concerns are comfort and puncture resistance. Mileage and weight, etc is not an issue.

Not sure if 28 's will fit in the 2013 CAAD 10 frame.

Any help/personal experience is appreciated.I searched for no results.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm a heavy rider and was experiencing many flats with my stock specialized tires. I purchased Schwalbe Durano Plus tires in 25's and rode hundreds of miles with them last year on pretty rough roads with no problems at all. They certainly aren't light but I don't care about that. I can't recommend them enough for someone looking for a strong tire for a heavy rider. Not cheap but worth every dollar to me. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I'm riding a bike now fitted with Conti 4 seasons - 28mm on back and 25mm on front - so that's one option. I cannot speak for CAAD10 but I did try them on a CAAD5 frame and they still had lots of clearance. The brake design has a bearing on this too. I think the CAAD geometry has stayed pretty constant. Pics are a conti 28mm on the rear of a CAAD5.

View attachment 278922

View attachment 278923

View attachment 278924

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for takin the time to type your thoughts, and especially to post up pics guys, I appreciate it. I'll do some research on the rubber you mention now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm a heavy rider too (120 kg) and just got into road biking, after a big year on mountain trails. I picked up a used bike, and had 3 pinch flats and gashed a sidewall in the first 20 miles with the 23mm Specialized Mondo Pro tires. I swapped them for 25mm Continental GatorSkins and haven't had a problem in nearly 100 miles.

·
Beast Mode Never Engaged
63 Posts
I'm running gp4000s in 25 and love them. They barely (and I mean barely) fit my supersix frame and I'd be very surprised if nothing rubbed with a 28 but you might be able to make those fit as well. I was actually quite surprised at how little the size difference was to the naked eye but the riding difference is amazing. The next thing I want to do is try 23mm rims.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Conti GP4000S in 700x25 actually measure out at 26.5 mm. The Grand Prix 4-Season in 700x25 are a true 25 mm. For all-around riding with good flat protection I think the 4-Seasons are a great tire. If one rides on relatively clean roads without too many rocks then I think the GP4000S are a great choice, but the sidewalls are not as tough as the 4-Seasons.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I am riding Conti GP4000S in 25c. I have also tried the Vittoria Rubino Pro in 25c. I like both, though i prefer the GP4000S. I weigh about 95 kg.

Have a set of Vittoria evo open corsa's in 25c waiting to replace the contis when i'm done with them.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Ultremo DD's in 25's are a better choice over the 4000's for puncture protection. I've seen cuts galore on my DD's that didn't make it through, so never got a flat on them until a nail finally had its way. I've had GP 4000's get small things through.
The regular Gatorskins are also good, and affordable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.