Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been in contact a lot with Quarq recently and wanted to share the knowledge that I have learned and am still learning. Hopefully this will help others who are looking.

1) Quarq Powermeters do have a transferrable warranty when purchased used or second-hand. The two year period is based on purchase date which is determined using the individual serial number on each unit.

2) The most common topic I have found revolves around zero offset drift and calibration numbers. I am still dealing with this and have been for the past month. I have taken the following steps:

I purchased a new Quarq CinQo Saturn Rotor 3D w/ Q-rings about 6 weeks ago and swapped the Q-rings for FSA Pro Chainrings. I used my Wahoo Dongle and Qalvin to recalibrate based on my beginning and ending chainrings (I did not use a test weight to recalibrate). The slope changed by approximately .8% after the chainring swap.

After experiencing a significant amount of zero offset drift and checking proper torque on the the aluminum bolts I switched to steel. Per Quarq, I used blue loctite on the bolts and carbon paste where the Chainrings come in contact with the spider and torqued to 10 Nm.

View attachment 276596

On my first ride with the new bolts, I rode 2 hours with several hard efforts in both Chainrings. Drift was 274 points (-262 to -536). This is considered "normal" as the Quarq is settling back in from the new bolts. I made sure to auto-zero (backpedal at least 4 times) every 10-15 minutes to ensure I was getting accurate power readings. My Quarq should take a few more rides to settle in (according to Quarq it can take up to 100 miles).

Although Quarq states in their user manual that zero offset reading should be within +/-500, it can and will be outside of this range. It is more important that the drift is lower than 50 points from the beginning to the end of the ride after the settling period.

I used Qalvin to check my beginning and ending zero offset to keep track of my numbers. I like being able to take a screen shot of the numbers instead of writing them down...just personal preference.
View attachment 276598

I will keep this thread updated with any additional correspondence from Quarq or any additional information I find. So far, Quarq's customer service has been helpful and I'm sure if I need to send my unit back they will continue to be.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Their customer service is excellent.

Unfortunately I've had to use it twice in 1 month, both for failures of the electronics. Not terribly happy, and I'm still gunshy about taking my Cinqo out in the rain, but I guess we'll see how this one fares.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their customer service is excellent.

Unfortunately I've had to use it twice in 1 month, both for failures of the electronics. Not terribly happy, and I'm still gunshy about taking my Cinqo out in the rain, but I guess we'll see how this one fares.
Bummer, hopefully your new one does better. What was Quarq's turnaround time for the repair + shipping time?

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Bummer, hopefully your new one does better. What was Quarq's turnaround time for the repair + shipping time?
The first time was over the christmas holiday, so about 10 days.

The second time, overnight both ways - out Tuesday, back in my hands Thursday.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Third failure. This time rain while on the roof rack killed it.

Supposedly they will replace it with a Riken. I'm not sure it's worth keeping the quarq.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.