Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So quarq is in the live tracking game. Instead of app this is an actual standalone device, the kind that are used on the tour de france.

Quarq Qollector In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

It works for running and biking working off an ant+ protocol. I can genuinely see some appeal to this. To let people know of your position if your out riding solo.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can see the appeal for races (particularly if they add the functionality have the tracking map overlayed on the route/course). For me, personally, my solo rides don't get much longer than 3.5 hours. I am happy enough to send my wife the RoadId link, which has the build in advantage of notifying her if I stop for 5+ minutes.

For an everyday athlete, I think there are better, cheaper options. But as you said, it's a niche product.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Not having pre-loaded routes (yet) and relying on mobile service is the big limiting factor for me. I ride in places with no mobile coverage, often on gravel fire and forest service roads, and this would be mostly useless in those places where it's most needed.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Not having pre-loaded routes (yet) and relying on mobile service is the big limiting factor for me. I ride in places with no mobile coverage, often on gravel fire and forest service roads, and this would be mostly useless in those places where it's most needed.
Wow. No service. That's trippy. Everyone on earth has cell service, even the worlds poorest billion have working cell phones.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow. No service. That's trippy. Everyone on earth has cell service, even the worlds poorest billion have working cell phones.
Are you just being as ass?

I have a working cell phone. I really nice one.

Once you get away from population centers and heavily traveled roads, coverage drops to zero.

I rode in the Jensie Gran Fondo in Marin County, CA this past Saturday, and didn't have coverage for about 60% of the ride (that's a generous estimate). Even the starting area at Stafford Lake, which is only a few miles from a major highway and less than two miles from a local high school had zero coverage. I think only two of the rest stops (of 5 or 6) had coverage.

I live and ride in the mountains in the Pacific Northwest, there is a LOT of area with no coverage at all.

If you are lucky enough to live and ride in areas where you always have coverage, that is great. I'm not so lucky (or maybe I'm very lucky - some people think so :) )

·
Registered
4,987 Posts

Are you just being as ass?

I have a working cell phone. I really nice one.

Once you get away from population centers and heavily traveled roads, coverage drops to zero.

I rode in the Jensie Gran Fondo in Marin County, CA this past Saturday, and didn't have coverage for about 60% of the ride (that's a generous estimate). Even the starting area at Stafford Lake, which is only a few miles from a major highway and less than two miles from a local high school had zero coverage. I think only two of the rest stops (of 5 or 6) had coverage.

I live and ride in the mountains in the Pacific Northwest, there is a LOT of area with no coverage at all.

If you are lucky enough to live and ride in areas where you always have coverage, that is great. I'm not so lucky (or maybe I'm very lucky - some people think so :) )
I'm an ass for living where we get cell service everywhere? How's that? And yes, people in slums and barrios and rural wastelands have cell phones that work fine and get service. I work with them. I have done development projects from Latvia to Bangladesh. It worked on one project in West Virginia where cell service was an issue... But that's about it. Why people in rural Ghana have service and you don't in the Pacific Northwest I don't know, unless it's mountains interfering with signals? I'm no cell transmission expert. I have just found it rare to not have service. Non existent where I live. Rare to non distant everywhere else I have worked with, and that includes huge swathe of the world. Maybe your carrier just sucks? Are you too cheap to have a real carrier? I'm Verizon. Maybe that's a factor?

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I'm an ass for living where we get cell service everywhere? How's that? And yes, people in slums and barrios and rural wastelands have cell phones that work fine and get service. I work with them. I have done development projects from Latvia to Bangladesh. It worked on one project in West Virginia where cell service was an issue... But that's about it. Why people in rural Ghana have service and you don't in the Pacific Northwest I don't know, unless it's mountains interfering with signals? I'm no cell transmission expert. I have just found it rare to not have service. Non existent where I live. Rare to non distant everywhere else I have worked with, and that includes huge swathe of the world. Maybe your carrier just sucks? Are you too cheap to have a real carrier? I'm Verizon. Maybe that's a factor?
Maybe you don't get around much.

I have a real carrier. And so does my GF. (T-Mobile & AT&T) We both experience areas without coverage in Eastern PA. We were in VA a few weeks ago. LOTS of areas without coverage.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have Verizon. Plenty of places do not have coverage. As Migen said, most of Jensie's Gran Fondo did not have cell service. Marin County is in kind of a techy part of America. Same lack of coverage up in Sonoma County, as those doing Levi's Gran Fondo will find. Hills do provide a major issue with cell coverage. Lack of cell coverage is a small price to pay for epic rides.

Looking down Coleman Valley
View attachment 316345
View from Coleman Valley Rd.
View attachment 316346
San Francisco and Pacific from Mt. Tam
View attachment 316347
Mt. Tam looking north
View attachment 316348
Coleman Valley Descent
View attachment 316349

To answer your question, no, you are not an ass for living where you have cell service everywhere, simply ignorant for not knowing there are awesome places that do not have cell service. Nothing wrong with ignorance, I was ignorant of the fact that I could have cell service everywhere in Latvia, thx for the education.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I live in a city with 1.4m population and there are many areas under 60 km away where there is zero coverage, regardless of carrier. Your comments tell me you are maybe 16 years old or truly clueless about things you often feel compelled to post about.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I live in a city with 1.4m population and there are many areas under 60 km away where there is zero coverage, regardless of carrier. Your comments tell me you are maybe 16 years old or truly clueless about things you often feel compelled to post about.
Pother than buildings, subways and the obvious, I can't remember the last time I had no service. What is it I need to know about to have that experience?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts