Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
399 Posts
If you're looking at the carbon ones, I think that they are another Asian-made carbon frame (nothing wrong with that), with an old Italian marque used to identify it. Back in the day they were good true Italian bikes, but they're essentially Motobecanes now (once famous name now being used so something has a name on it that's recognizable).

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Quattro Assi originated as a small Italian brand. Quality frames but not a big following here in the states. Back the late 80s, they were imported by WM Lewis Imports. I would agree with the previous post, today's label doesn't have much if anything to do with the vintage bikes.

brewster

· Registered
2 Posts
Quattro Assi

I've owned an XXX2 and now have an E1 and been really happy with both of them. The E1 is an aluminum frame - mine weighs in at 1050 grams which is pretty competitive. It rides well for aluminum, stiff and responsive, with quick (bordering on nervous) handling. It would suit a crit racer well. Finish is good for the money - the only issue I've had is a slightly oversized headset seat, and the all-carbon fork could be stiffer. Still, amazing value.

By the way, Bill Lewis is a real character...full of stories and opinions. He has a well-deserved reputation of taking care of his customers.

And don't be put off by "Made in Asia" - Quattro Assi sure isn't the only Italian decal adorning a Chinese frame!

· Banned
519 Posts
Ok, but it's not made in Italy. Italy has some really slack laws about putting a made in Italy sticker on their products. In Italy, so long as you do some sort of production to the bike itself, you can put a made in Italy sticker on the frame. For example, frames made in China and imported to Italy and components added to that frame in Italy, can receive the made in Italy sticker.

Quattro Assi is a frame that is made in China.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Saw an old steel one out on the road this weekend- columbus tubes, nice paint, campy components.

Pretty bike- Guy bought it at yellow jersey in madison. Bet they'd know the history...

· Registered
539 Posts
brewster said:
Quattro Assi originated as a small Italian brand. Quality frames but not a big following here in the states. Back the late 80s, they were imported by WM Lewis Imports. I would agree with the previous post, today's label doesn't have much if anything to do with the vintage bikes.

brewster
Wrong. Quattro Assi was never an "Italian brand". Bill Lewis originated the brand and out sourced the frames in the begining to Tommasini, who Bill at the time, was the only US distributor for Tommasini. I have one of the original Tommasini built QA steel frames now in my collection. Later Bill outsource his aluminum frames to an American builder in Caifornia, whose name escapes me now and I have one of those frames as well. Even later, and now currently, Bill has outsourced his current aluminum and carbon, and full carbon frames to Taiwan and yes, I have one of those as well. Quattro Assi, a Texas brand... never Italian and everything to do with the original "vintage" QA bikes. :thumbsup:

· J24
435 Posts
Bill Lewis in Driftwood TX is Quattro Assi and it always was a Texas company.
In 1999 bought a Columbus Nivachrome frame from him, which as I recall was built in Italy... I think by a subcontractor of Tomassini. Great handling and riding bike.

Bill's a good guy to do business with, and when or if I decide to buy carbon, it will likely be one of his frames.

· Registered
539 Posts
Here is one of my QAs...

2001 Quattro Assi Team (compact geometry) Enduro tubing with carbon fork and stays, Ultegra 9 speed, FSA Compact crankset, Easton carbon stem and bars, Mavic Cosmos wheels, carbon Flite seat on a QA branded post. Very light and stiff but also a very comfortable ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.