Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There is a seam on the transition of my garage floor. I set both wheels in that groove and nose the front wheel into the garage door frame while straddling it. Aligning the bars is easy as sighting over the bars to the frame and snugging it up. It may not be exactly perpendicular but I don't readily notice it.

1. Put the bike in a rack with a precise wall to gauge off of. Using a laser leveling device, run the beam across the bars and frame to align. I don't own such a device and my wife would think I'm, :eek:ut: if I went to that extent. :)

2. Using string, you can tie each end to the exact position on both sides of the bars and run the string around the seatpost collar. Measure the distance to the same point on both sides of the collar and snug it in.

Reminds me of the movie Tin Cup where in one scene he has all this paraphernalia attached to his head to get into a proper golf swing position. :D

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just invented a way to make sure your stem is straight. Get a small falshlight and turn out the lights. Turn on the flashlight and place the light a foot above the stem and about a foot behind stem. Move the flashlight around a little bit. It is quite obvious if the shadow of the stem is in line with the wheel. I'm a goll dang wizard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.