Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike equipped with mostly Dura Ace 7400/7401. I only recently got the bike (an '87 Schwinn Prologue with upgraded wheels, Rear mech, and shifters.) but yesterday I noticed one the second from smallest gear, the chain would jump once a wheel rotation. I tracked it down to a bent tooth. My first question is, should I try bending it back, or leading on to the next one, are Dura Ace 8 Speed cassettes compatible with other 8 speed ones.

I'd prefer not to have to buy $90-$100 used cassette, ya know?

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Durandal said:
I have a bike equipped with mostly Dura Ace 7400/7401. I only recently got the bike (an '87 Schwinn Prologue with upgraded wheels, Rear mech, and shifters.) but yesterday I noticed one the second from smallest gear, the chain would jump once a wheel rotation. I tracked it down to a bent tooth. My first question is, should I try bending it back, or leading on to the next one, are Dura Ace 8 Speed cassettes compatible with other 8 speed ones.

I'd prefer not to have to buy $90-$100 used cassette, ya know?
To answer your question.. the 7400 series is a Uniglide and the Dura Ace cassette only has one specific cog, the final threaded one.

I have an extra 2nd position cog, PM me your addy and I will drop it in the mail to you tues or weds....

If you did want an entire cassette, here is one of my auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7244002019&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

· Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it definatly uses a Dura Ace Hyper Glide lockring, and is eight speed, so which series would that make it, 7401 maybe?

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Durandal said:
Well, it definatly uses a Dura Ace Hyper Glide lockring, and is eight speed, so which series would that make it, 7401 maybe?
Sorry about my misguided advice..... if you have a lock ring than you definitely don't have a Uniglide cassette.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Dura Ace Time line

8 Speed Uniglide was introduced in 1989- 7402 series.
8 speed Hyperglide was introduced in 1990- 7403 series.

What tooth cog are you looking for? Send me a PM and I'll shoot one in the mail to you. I have a box full used DA 7403 cassette cogs... The only problem is I leave tomorrow for a week long business trip so it will take a a couple of weeks for you to recieve it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.