Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is thinking about getting into road biking. He is a very large guy (about 6'8" and 285 pounds) and we are looking for help on what might work for him.

I took him to my LBS last weekend and he tried out a Specialized 61 cm Allez frame. It was too small for him. They didn't carry anything bigger in the shop and he hasn't found any shops near his house with big frames either.

I am asking for some help on finding out if there are any good bikes that come in BIG sizes. He doesn't want to spend too much on the bike so custom is not really an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
VPI2000 said:
My brother is thinking about getting into road biking. He is a very large guy (about 6'8" and 285 pounds) and we are looking for help on what might work for him.

I took him to my LBS last weekend and he tried out a Specialized 61 cm Allez frame. It was too small for him. They didn't carry anything bigger in the shop and he hasn't found any shops near his house with big frames either.

I am asking for some help on finding out if there are any good bikes that come in BIG sizes. He doesn't want to spend too much on the bike so custom is not really an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.
He's probably gonna need a custom to get a good fit. It's gonna cost more. Bottom line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Well, the good news is that BikesDirect sells the Motobecane Record in a 64cm frame and its similarly equipped to the Allez.

Your buddy might also look at the Windsor Tourist as it will be a heavy duty option for his size, it also comes in a 64cm

Lastly, he may want to consider a Cyclocross bike as it will also be more heavy duty for his size. BikesDirect has a Motobecane Fanthom CX in a 64cm.

The Bad News?....you are buying sight unseen, no local dealer support, and can't test ride. But if its the only option in his price range, its better than not being able to buy a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
I have seen some very tall guys (I am 6'4" and have stock bike that I love) on Sevens...check them out. Their pricing includes custom framing, but yes, you are talking +$4K once it will be all said and done if you go custom with just about any manufacturer. Check out ebay and do the Competitive Cyclist fit measurement system to get an idea of the size you MAY need....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
Leader Bikes makes a 65cm frame. (check under frames, not built bikes)

They don't have dimensions listed, but for only $199 its worth calling and asking for more info. Leader makes great frames, they just don't have the overhead of larger companies. (Sort of like pedalforce)
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
Kestreljr said:
Leader Bikes makes a 65cm frame. (check under frames, not built bikes)

They don't have dimensions listed, but for only $199 its worth calling and asking for more info. Leader makes great frames, they just don't have the overhead of larger companies. (Sort of like pedalforce)
Even if he can find a frame that fits (unlikely at 6'8") he's gonna need some really beefy wheels to handle 300 pounds. Most stock wheels are gonna fall apart.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Well at 6'5" 250 lbs I pretty much max out the noncustom frame category. Check into Zinn bicycles. He specializes in big boy bikes and might be able to help. As far as wheels go. I have seen many a big guy on the venerable Mavic Open Pro with whatever hub on it without problems. Just wouldn't reach for the low spoke wheel.

http://www.zinncycles.com/bikes.aspx
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,492 Posts
Go here: www.tallrides.com. And don't buy a 61

Never take advice on what a tall cyclist needs from anybody under 6'4" They have no concept.
Don't let him buy a 61cm anything. It will be at least 5-7cm too small. He MIGHT be able to make a 64-65 work fairly well, and may have to on his budget, but it would be far from ideal. I'm 6'4", and that's the size on which I feel most comfortable. Anything smaller, and you've got to diddle around with long seatposts, which make the bars too low in relation to the saddle, and the top tube won't be right, and all around it's just more of a PITA than it's worth. Don't let the 5'7" shop employee tell him he'll be fine on a 62--he won't be, and he won't ride, and he'll waste his money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Being new to riding, I have to say you all are going over board a little (I think). I am 6 foot 295 pounds and rode a $89 - 10 year old Huffy WalMart Bike Over 3oo miles and got it used with 200 miles or so on it from a guy that was 250 pounds and I rode it 184+ miles down the C&O towpath With no mechanical problems at all.She has a grand total of over 500 miles and still going. But that is a moutain bike. I bought a special tire for the rear that is supose to be used on police bikes figureing it would hold up good and it did. I had over 50 pounds of gear (tent food cloths) on it also with my big tail and it did fine. Plastic pedales and all.


<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/tls_photo/2595630735/" title="Untitled by Sparkstyson, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/2595630735_88f903bc5f_o.jpg" width="640" height="480" alt="" /></a>



<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/tls_photo/2596464688/" title="Untitled by Sparkstyson, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/2596464688_bef22a1285.jpg" width="500" height="357" alt="" /></a>
 

·
Rub it............
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
We had a customer come into our shop. He was 6'9" approx 250 lbs. We fitted him to a 64cm Fuji that was ordered for another customer and temporarily installed a stem riser and he fell in love with the bike. He said we were the only shop that made an attempt to fit a bike to him and he didn't feel like he was going to fall over the handle bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Just curious...

frdfandc said:
We had a customer come into our shop. He was 6'9" approx 250 lbs. We fitted him to a 64cm Fuji that was ordered for another customer and temporarily installed a stem riser and he fell in love with the bike. He said we were the only shop that made an attempt to fit a bike to him and he didn't feel like he was going to fall over the handle bars.
How long was the head tube on the bike, how many spacers installed (I am sure 40mm) and what rise/length stem did you provide?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
MCF said:
How long was the head tube on the bike, how many spacers installed (I am sure 40mm) and what rise/length stem did you provide?
Yeah I'm guessing it was a stretch to fit someone that big onto a 64. Long seatpost with setback, lots of spacers and a rise stem, etc. Still...lots cheaper than a custom if it works for that particular customer. They may not have wanted to spend big $$ and were happy enough with the fit of the 64.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
38,000 + posts...holy cr*p!!!! Hehe..yeah, I 6'4" I have a good amount of seatpost showing on a 61cm. I have a 22cm head tube with 20mm spacers and a 110x10 stem, but some people could not tolerate the 3" drop I have (I have long forearms so not much to me), but I still have 15mm spacer above the stem if necessary. Everyone falls in love with their first 'new' bike. Even experience riders experience the 'new bike' thrill. It usually takes 50-100 miles before you start to feel things you don't like. Hopefully the 64 will work and I hope they didn't slam the seat back on the rails and put an offset post because that will really mess up his knee position.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top