Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Headwinds seem to find me
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching to Kool-Stop brake pads this week (from stock Shimano) and would like to know if there's anything I should do to clean/prepare the braking surface of my wheels beforehand.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the Dura Ace pads I recently installed. After just 25 miles they feel (and sound) like crap. I inspected them and they're full of metal shards. I used my previous set of stock Shimano pads for over a year with no such trouble. I cleaned the new pads out, wiped down the braking surface of the wheels, and one ride later they still work like crap.

I'm trying out Kool Stops after reading several negative reviews of the Shimano pads on RBR.

Should I do anything to the wheels first (fine sandpaper, steel wool, etc)?

Thanks for the help!

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
ExtraSlow said:
I'm switching to Kool-Stop brake pads this week (from stock Shimano) and would like to know if there's anything I should do to clean/prepare the braking surface of my wheels beforehand.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the Dura Ace pads I recently installed. After just 25 miles they feel (and sound) like crap. I inspected them and they're full of metal shards. I used my previous set of stock Shimano pads for over a year with no such trouble. I cleaned the new pads out, wiped down the braking surface of the wheels, and one ride later they still work like crap.

I'm trying out Kool Stops after reading several negative reviews of the Shimano pads on RBR.

Should I do anything to the wheels first (fine sandpaper, steel wool, etc)?

Thanks for the help!
I clean the rims using a green Scotchbrite pad and rubbing alcohol. Then wipe the rims down with a clean cloth and presto, new looking rims.

Kool Stop pads are great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.