Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm concidering replacing the fork on my 05 Specialized Roubaix Elite from the carbon fork it came with to maybe the EC90SL or SLX. My question is since my fork has a 49mm rake/offset, how will the handling change if I go with an easton fork with a 43mm rake/offset?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
With everything else remaining equal, the 43 mm rake/offset fork will slow down steering response a little—make the bike a bit more stable and less willing to turn than it was with the old 49 mm fork. It's not a dramatic difference, though—you'll probably stop noticing it after you've ridden the new fork for a few days.

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
I agree with wim. I have swapped out forks over the years going from different offsets and never had any problems. The fact you are going from 49mm to 43mm does "technically" slow down the steering response but after two rides or one long ride you will never notice it.

I once did go from a 40mm rake to a 50mm rake and did notice a difference. It wasn't dangerous but I ended up going swapping it out for a 43mm rake.

You may want to purchase another crown race for your new fork so you can easily swap out the forks whenever you want.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I've also considered swapping my '06 Roubaix's fork. It's way too wet noodle-like for my taste. wim and acckids are of course correct, but I can't imagine diminishing the the turning response even a bit on a Roubaix. Do post your results if you go ahead with it. I'd love to hear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts