Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a compact crank on my Felt SC1, It is Shimano dura-ace 10. What would anyone recommend. If I use a FSA will I need to change the front derailer. Which FSA crank should I use. I know there have been some problems with some models. I am also considering the shimano compact ( I wish it was DA quality). Thank you for any help.:confused:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use a Shimano compact crank with their standard 10 speed Ulegra derailleurs - shifts better than my 'old' 9 speed Shimano/Ultegra rig with 130mm cranks. The standard front derailleur works great. I built the bike up myself and it all worked fine right out the garage.

However - the rings have a real plug-ugly, almost grey finish on them - an anodising or something, not a paint or whatever. I got the crankset because it was in polished alloy rather than black, but good as they shift, those rings are uglier than they appear in photos! Shame, the crank finish is great. Who knows?

D

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
jevet said:
I want to put a compact crank on my Felt SC1, It is Shimano dura-ace 10. What would anyone recommend. If I use a FSA will I need to change the front derailer. Which FSA crank should I use. I know there have been some problems with some models. I am also considering the shimano compact ( I wish it was DA quality). Thank you for any help.:confused:
I use FSA compact cranks with an ultegra 10 derailleur - works like a charm. You do want to make sure you get the shimano 10 specific crankset. As I understand it, the others aren't ramped the same, and it doesn't work quite as well. That's second hand though, so the difference might be something else.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Its correct. Shimano changed the profile of their chains in midseason, so the 9/10 big ring doesn't work. In order to force the chain off the big ring, the derailleur has to smack it so hard that it can launch it off the inside. FSA will send you a replacement ring that is Shimano specific if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I changed my Dura Ace 7700 crankset for the FSA K-Force Compact MegaExo. I had a problem with shifting to the large chainring and replaced the DA 7700 front derailleur with the FSA C-16 derailleur. I could not get the FSA derailleur adjusted so it would shift but not overshift. I have returned to the old DA 7700 which shifts much better. I did have an issue with both derailleurs where a little bump on the inside of the derailleur would touch the braze-on bracket when trying to shift to the big ring. The new external bearings of both the FSA and Shimano cranksets require the front derailleur to shift about 1/2 mm further than the older cranksets which causes this problem. I ground that down with a Dremmel tool so it wouldn't touch and hang on the bracket. I believe the problem with the FSA derailleur is that the cage is a few millimeters wider than the DA 7700. I am now looking to replace the DA 7700 with a DA 7800 which has a narrower cage than the DA 7700.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.