Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Question about cutting carbon fiber fork steerer tube

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  cdhbrad 
#1 ·
I am about to cut a full carbon fiber fork with a hacksaw. Is there any special type of hack saw blade that is recommended for cutting a carbon fiber steerer tube? thanks

#2 ·
Fine tooth blade

velonomad said:
I am about to cut a full carbon fiber fork with a hacksaw. Is there any special type of hack saw blade that is recommended for cutting a carbon fiber steerer tube? thanks
About a 32 tpi blade is recommended. Wrap the steerer in masking tape or use a cutting guide to get a straight, clean cut, then smooth out any rough edges with fine emery cloth.

#6 ·
rotate steerer

also..rotate the steerer about forty-five degrees in the clamp after you're about halfway through (maybe a bit further). Then do it again after several more mm's have been cut. This will help not to splinter fibers on the "underside" of the steerer as it's being cut. Just be sure not to start another cut when you do this-take care to stay in the original "trench".

#8 ·
I would for two reasons

1. You will be able to see your mark for cutting easier on the tape than on the carbon tube, and 2. the tape will help reduce splintering of the outer fibers as you cut. Do this all the time in woodworking when you want to reduce splintering in materials, same thing here.
Any of the finer grades of emery cloth will work for cleaning up the cut edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.