Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple pair of DeFeet socks as a gift. They are size medium, which fit feet sized 7 to 9. I wear a 9.5 to 10 shoe. Will these socks fit or do I need to send them back?

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
7 to 9 is the sock size, not the shoe size. There is a slight difference.

A sock size of 10-13 is usually recommended for men's shoe sizes 8.5 or 9 to 12.

Because socks have such a wide range, with your shoe size, you can probably wear either size, depending on how true to size they run, how much stretch they have, how you like your socks to fit, and how wrong you are about your shoe size. A lot of people wear the wrong size shoes.

All that said, just try one of the socks on.

(Former shoe store manager).

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
topflightpro said:
I got a couple pair of DeFeet socks as a gift. They are size medium, which fit feet sized 7 to 9. I wear a 9.5 to 10 shoe. Will these socks fit or do I need to send them back?
I think you'll find that wearing too tight/too small socks makes for uncomfortable feet on a long bike ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Medium

I wear a size 9 and buy mediums. Usually fit good. I have tried a L and the heels bunched up as they were too large.

·
Registered
727 Posts
it really depends- someone said too tight socks might be uncomfortable, but i think too loose ones are worse. socks DO stretch to fit your feet a little bit. These socks will work well for you if you don't mind them not going up as high above your ankle. it really shouldn't be a problem.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Speaking of feet I have a condition called Morton's Neuroma that comes and goes as to various levels of uncomfort. What I find is if I grab the thicker warmer socks to where when it's cold, like right now in SE Wi, when I ride they aggravate da Morton's.

What I'm hearing is there's a type/material of sock that is better for your foot. Less sliding around or something.

Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Width not thickness

ironhorse1 said:
Speaking of feet I have a condition called Morton's Neuroma that comes and goes as to various levels of uncomfort. What I find is if I grab the thicker warmer socks to where when it's cold, like right now in SE Wi, when I ride they aggravate da Morton's.
This is because the thicker sock makes the shoe functionally narrower, and that presses your foot bones together, which aggravates the neuroma. Wider shoes are a standard "treatment/preventative" for MN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts