Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot has been said on riding less than 25 miles in the morning ... there would be not need to eat, because of the glycogen stores that are in the body. After a certain amount (may 40) then the need to eat or drink would be necessary.

My question is.. what if it's a morning race? 50 guys doing a morning hammer and it's involves speeds from 24 - 33.

I tried going with just water.. and I bonked before the last bridge climb... with the finish line just after the bridge.

My fitness level isn't where I would like it to be ... but I'm getting there.

Should I at least bring Accelerade or Gatorade to keep the energy up?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
You did the experiment;

just interpret the results. You didn't eat; you bonked. So eat. Get up earlier, and eat something. And put something other than water in the bottles. And stick a pack of gel in your jersey pocket, too, in case you start to run out of gas.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Get up a little earlier, eat a little something, then get everything ready for the race/ride. Gives me time to wake up so I don't forget something important like my bike....yes, I forgot my bike once at home. Leave me alone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jcavilia but

JCavilia said:
just interpret the results. You didn't eat; you bonked. So eat. Get up earlier, and eat something. And put something other than water in the bottles. And stick a pack of gel in your jersey pocket, too, in case you start to run out of gas.

I guess my concern behind..not eating in the morning is stemmed from me wanting to lose more weight. I'm 5'8 212 and looking to start racing cat 5. I not sure what weight I should be around...but I'd say less than 200 180..

I do understand that if it's a hammer fest, then something other than water will be needed to fuel. (half of a PB sandwich and water did well)

I would like to do further reading or if someone can explain how or when do you know if your glycogen stores are full as oppose to empty (like off the bike). If they are full and you eat..will that go directly to storage (fat)?

"Eat less and burn more"....I have that statement in my head already but...I don't know if there any books out there that answers the problem I face.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Wrong approach

talentous said:
I guess my concern behind..not eating in the morning is stemmed from me wanting to lose more weight. Any thoughts?
Yes. Virtually any study you want to look at says that skipping breakfast is a lousy way to lose weight, and usually results in pressure to binge later in the day. People looking to lose weight should be trimming the evening meal more than any other, and DEFINITELY not skipping breakfast.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Yes. Virtually any study you want to look at says that skipping breakfast is a lousy way to lose weight, and usually results in pressure to binge later in the day. People looking to lose weight should be trimming the evening meal more than any other, and DEFINITELY not skipping breakfast.
I'm talking about while on the bike. But I think I have figured out from advise from this thread. I'm not saying I skip breakfast all together... If it's an easy ride then no pre ride food is necessary. After the ride..sure, fuel up of the day.

Morning hammer fest require some food before heading out.

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
talentous said:
I guess my concern behind..not eating in the morning is stemmed from me wanting to lose more weight. I'm 5'8 212 and looking to start racing cat 5. I not sure what weight I should be around...but I'd say less than 200 180..
Less than 175 according to charts (at the high end)
Don't feel bad though - you're not alone. Many of us are in the same boat. Keep working, training and plan what you eat carefully and you'll see the success you're after.
You need to eat to lose weight. More, smallish meals to keep your blood sugar level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.