Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
902 Posts
If you can replace the bearings in a Dura Ace 7800 or FSA MegaExo crankset, then changing hub bearings should not be a problem.

· Registered
902 Posts
Agreed that the bearings should not need overhauling thus the only reason one would need to replace bearings would be to substitute with hybrid ceramics which would be aided by the appropriate bearing drifts and maybe a bearing press tool. Unless the OP has multiple bikes to maintain or plans on replacing cartridge bearings on a routine basis, this is one item that would be better left to the LBS. As for how hard the replacement process is, can't speak to the R4 hubs, but with the R3 and Circuit hubs, the hardest part was removing the old bearings and once these were out, the new bearings went in in minutes using the bearing drifts and a quick release sans spring.

· Registered
902 Posts
Until recently when we started running Reynolds carbon clinchers, Easton was the only wheels you would find on my bike. A couple years ago when I had a bearing get a flat spot with a set of Easton Circuits (we have/had Easton Circuits, Tempest II clinchers, Tempest II tubulars), when I called customer service (aka Velomax in California), I was able to purchase both the bearings and the drifts to replace the bearings. While I think Easton customer service is good, as far as the wheel division is concerned I have always gotten the impression that it is a small shop with a limited number of personnel. On the rare occasion I have had to call for service, the phone calls are typically always handled by personnel working in the warehouse building or repairing wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.