Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· hail to the redskins
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a GPS system for my car. Can the Garmin 705, 605, or 305 be used in a car? Does it have the same navigation features as a car system? How about the battery? I would love to get one of the Garmins for my bike, but it is a bit too expensive. If it can double as a GPS for my car, I may be able to justify it. Thanks for input.

· il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
I have the 605 and, sure, you could use it in a car but not while you're actually driving. Even if you could figure out a way of installing it on the dash, the screen is very small. Though if you have a co-pilot, he/she could use it and tell you where and when to turn.
I'm not altogether happy with the 605. It has been quitting for no rhyme or reason - just seizes up at a spot on the map and none of the buttons work. It wasn't the battery, which lasts about 10 hours. I took it back to the store I bought it from and they loaded a software update but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.
Ditto to the other post's suggestion that you'd be better off getting a GPS made for a car.

· Registered
706 Posts
I have a Legend C which I use for driving too and it is fine. Sure I have to load the maps for where I am going (only 24mb), and and it doesn't say "turn left on Main street", but it works. Instead of voice it's an alert beep that a turn is coming and then a different beep for the turn (includes the street name on the screen). If the 705 or 605 have those functions (and a usable dash mount), I would say that's enough for the occasional car user, who will use it mostly for the bike.

· Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
You can use the 705 as a navigation device -- it has all the navigation, follow route, and other "stuff" to make it a navigation tool. The 305 doesn't have that capability. It'll tell you where you have gone, but no ability to load a route and tell you where you are going.

Also, to make the unit usable, you'll need to purchase the maps and load them onto your computer, then into your GPS device. The units only have base level maps in them (major road, Interstates), To get the street level you'll need to purchase Garmin City Navigator 2009 NT. About $99 and you can only pair it with one Garmin device (you can purchase additional licenses for another GPS for about $99 I think).

The 705, 605, and 305 are bicycle/outdoor specific units, made of outdoor activity, specifically cycling.

If you want to do both, get a Garmin GPSmap 60csx. You can get a bike mount for this, down load routes, use it in your car too. It's bit big on a bike handlebar, and will only register trip information (speed, distance, tracks), not the cadence, heart rate, and performance information that the bicycle-specific units do (705, 605, 305). A plus in using the GPSmap 60 along with the TOPO software is that you can also get detailed profiles of the tracks. These are available in the Training Center software (from Garmin, free) that pairs with the Edge units, but the Training Center profile is more like a plot rather than a nicely divided chart.

If you want to do car & bike and navigate and don't worry about the performance (HR, cadence) details, I'd recommend the GPSmap 60csx. if you want bike specific performance details and have the ability to navigate, I'd get the 705. In either case you'll want the map software to use the device to navigate to the street level.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
steel515 said:
how accurate are garmin 305/605/705's cadence and heartrate? Are they as accurate as polar/cyclometer units?
Also are garmin 305/605/705's head unit batteries easily replaceable?
Well in theory they're as accurate as you could want. In both cases they only have to count 'cycles', and not calculate anything.

That said, my HRM broke, no idea why. Tried changing batteries and cleaning it, and it still won't pick up on the Garmin.

Cadence is just fine. I believe it even stops calculating average cadence when you're coasting.

· Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
steel515 said:
how accurate are garmin 305/605/705's cadence and heartrate? Are they as accurate as polar/cyclometer units?
Also are garmin 305/605/705's head unit batteries easily replaceable?
I have the 705 and a 305. Both the HR and CAD are spot-on from my standpoint. No problems.

As far as replacement of the battery, there is a web site out there that has DIY instructions. The DIY instructions look straightforward, but I think the main problem is getting the case back together and watertight. I think GARMIN will do it for $99. I have had my 305 for three years and no issues with the battery. And, it lasts about 12 hours.

My HR strap failed. I opened up the battery case and the battery had separated and leaked inside the electronics part of the HRM pickup. I tried cleaning it out, but the goo from the battery must have gotten inside and messed things up. I had to get a new HRM pickup. Guess I was working too hard that day and blew the battery out. :eek:

· Registered
56 Posts
I have the 705 with the street level maps. It works pretty well for navigation, HR, Cadence, Altitude on the bike but it would be sub-standard for day to day use in a car IMO. Most of the low end car units have many more features than the 705 and the interfaces are much better suited to use in a car IMO. One nice thing for Mac users though is that the 705 works with Macs which is rare for HRMs.

· Have good, get give
964 Posts
I use it for a car some, but it works best with a co-pilot. The best feature is with the navigation it keeps a running list of your turn-by-turn which is easy enough to read.

Just know that as it ships it is worthless. You need to buy a map set.

· Registered
182 Posts
Not trying to tj but I don't think this is worth starting a new thread.
Suppose I have a 305 and I go riding out in the sticks and get a bit lost. Does it have a backtracking feature that will point me in the direction whence I came? That could be a useful feature when riding alone, IMO.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Every portable GPS I've owned works great... until you actually NEED it. Then it is either out of batteries, can't find any satellites, or just locks up and won't work at all.

I just google earth my rides now before I leave the house. Getting lost isn't the worst thing in the world either, I've found plenty of better routes that way.

· Registered
534 Posts
studiddy said:
Not trying to tj but I don't think this is worth starting a new thread.
Suppose I have a 305 and I go riding out in the sticks and get a bit lost. Does it have a backtracking feature that will point me in the direction whence I came? That could be a useful feature when riding alone, IMO.
yes it does have a breadcrumbs feature.

· Registered
8,413 Posts
I have a 305 for the bike and Nuvi 760 for the car. While I have taken my Nuvi as a map reference in my jersey pocket when cycling out of state, the 305 would have no use for the car. The Nuvi would not work as a true cycle computer for me as I like the heart rate and elevation info that the 305 provides and it does not download data to the pc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.