Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Obviously not doping
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bontrager selects, and it seems to me that they are really ssssllllloooowww. It seems from the reviews on this site that I am not the only person to notice this about them There is also a wierd rattling noise coming from the front hub. What would the effect be if I were to change out the hubs to ultegra in the back and front? Would it make a noticable difference? Or should I just try and get a whole new wheeset?I guess there is the outisde possibility that I am just a weak a$$ cyclist who can only ride slow:cryin: I am getting into racing, and I am feeling frustrated that my equipment may be holding me back. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

tim

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Sorry... new wheels aren't going to make much of a difference... *unless* you are highly susceptible to the placebo effect. If you've convinced yourself that your equipment is holding you back, then you might be a good candidate... but if the wheels are round and true and spinning properly, then they are ok. You could gain some aero and lose some weight, but the "real" effect will be minor.

At any rate, you can't use Ultegra hubs with those rims and spokes... you'd need new wheels.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
timmyc said:
I have bontrager selects, and it seems to me that they are really ssssllllloooowww. It seems from the reviews on this site that I am not the only person to notice this about them There is also a wierd rattling noise coming from the front hub. What would the effect be if I were to change out the hubs to ultegra in the back and front? Would it make a noticable difference? Or should I just try and get a whole new wheeset?I guess there is the outisde possibility that I am just a weak a$$ cyclist who can only ride slow:cryin: I am getting into racing, and I am feeling frustrated that my equipment may be holding me back. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

tim
The most noticable upgrade you're going to get is, like in most wheeled speed sports, improving the motor.

Greased ball bearing technology is well established, and has made remarkable advances in the last couple of decades. Even the cheapest Chinese hubs are going to turn like top of the line hubs from the '70s, so unless the hubs are defective (and a rattle would make me suspect, have your mechanic check it out. No hub should rattle), I doubt you'll see improvement you can measure from new hubs. Easy test, put the bike on a stand, or just lift an end up, and give the wheels a spin- do they move easily? Do they spin long? Compare them to a friend's bike- any real difference? And the brakes aren't rubbing, are they?

When a bike feels slow, I find it's usually- a fatigued rider (you're not over-training, are you? Long rides on summer days? Staying hydrated? You need to drink a lot. Staying nurished?), or low tire pressure, or a false flat (going up a couple of degree grade you can't see is ever so humbling), or a breezy day that doesn't feel windy (like a false flat, even a couple of mile per hour headwind, even at an angle, can make you feel like you're crawling).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.