Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's been AGES since I have rode (I injured my leg then broke my hand) but I have just recently started riding again and today I was out for a ride and the skies opend up and poured down on me. I'm kinda worried about my shoes (and if they're ruined or not). I have Sidi Genius 5's and right now they weigh about 2 lbs each cause of how water logged they are, I was about 8 miles from home when it started to pour so me and my shoes had plenty of time to get saturated.

If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks

Marsahall21205

·
Registered
635 Posts
do u have a heater? put them on it, tongues pulled up, footbeds out, soles (cleat) pointing up.

If not, put them near a window, or any air source in the same manner

they will dry overnight, or within 2 days......

no big deal

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Genius 5's are made with Lorica, so the water won't bugger that up. A quick, low effort and muy effective shoe drying technique is to stuff with newspaper. Works every time. They'll be dry by morning. The times I've been caught in monsoons, my Genius 5's have been dry by morning without doing anything other than taking 'em off my feet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies, I hung them on a hanger last night and hung the hanger off of one of my fan lights overnight. They seemed to dry pretty well and I also stuffed some news papers in them for today while i'm in class. Hopefully they'll be good to go for tomorrows ride (i believe they will be).

Thanks again

Marshall

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Ixnay on the eater-hay

Don't know about Lorica, but at least with leather shoes (or leather anything else), heat is an absolute no. Don't expose them to any heat greater than you can comfortably stand with your hand--not much over 100 degrees. It dries the leather something fierce
FWIW, I have a wire shelf above the water heater (in a closet off my laundry room) where the temp stays at about 100-105, and I leave wet shoes up there, stuffed with newspaper or paper towels. They generally dry overnight. Leather benefits from occasional treatment with a conditioner, too. I use Obenauf's (Rivendell sells it for Brooks saddles), but there are many brands available.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would suspect that heat can do damage. Most athletic shoes use adhesive for some of the construction (usually securing the sole to the upper). Looking at my Sidi shoes, it seems they do as well. Heat can cause this adhesive bonds to de-laminate. I've certainly seen that happen with shoes left in a car trunk.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My Sidi's have been soaked many times

Newspaper does the trick. I pull out the inserts and just stuff them with rolled up newspaper. The beauty of the lorica is it does not stretch, so getting wet is no issue and will have no lasting effect.

I used this several times on RAGBRAI after a rainy day, and they were nice and dry the next day. Let 'em dry and ride on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.